Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Micro Fence Micro Plunge

Micro Fence Micro Plunge

Does anyone here own a Micro Fence Micro Plunge? I was just wondering what your impression of it is. I'm curious how good the light is on it and how well the dust hood picks up dust. And does the dust hood interfere with seeing what you're doing?

I don't have one but I'm interested in it for veneer inlay work. I'll be interested to see what people say about it.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I can answer your light question, I bought two for a plunge base that I made. They work very well - bright and they stay where you set them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    I can answer your light question, I bought two for a plunge base that I made. They work very well - bright and they stay where you set them.
    OK - two things:

#2 - source for the lights?
    #1 You made that base? Photos of the entire thing? You sell them?
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    OK - two things:

#2 - source for the lights?
    #1 You made that base? Photos of the entire thing? You sell them?
    #2; http://microfence.com/ledbrbhelps-el...owsb-p-34.html
    #1; http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...le-plunge-base
    I don't sell them, this was a one off.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Hi Julie: I have the plunge base. The lights are wonderful..bright light and can be aimed exactly where you want illumination. they stay put, too. I do not have the dust collection, so i can't help there.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Thank you, all, for the replies. I ordered the Micro Plunge (for a Dremel) about a week ago. I was told it would be 3-4 weeks for delivery and the parts were in production. I've been considering this for a while and was a bit disappointed they didn't carry any in stock. Curiosity about how the product functioned was getting the better of me.

Bruce, that is some amazing work! Can I come over and play in your shop?

Michelle, what kind of work do you do when using the Micro Plunge? I bought it mostly for the lights and dust collection. I'm trying to learn inlay for musical instruments and my two biggest obstacles have been in seeing what I'm doing while routing freehand. Insufficient light, coupled with dust buildup, have been problematic for me.

I added a second light and the dust hood to my order. In the pictures on the Micro Fence website, it looks like the lights and dust hood can be used together but I don't know how well one will be able to see through the clear plastic dust hood. If seeing the line you are cutting to is a problem, I may have to cut away the plastic at the opening.

Blog Entries
    Bruce, excellent work. Most impressive!
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

I do inlays and small joinery with a bosch colt in mine. Your little dremel & bits won't kick up as much dust, I would guess, as bigger bits would do ???? I have a love/hate with dust collection on handtools..dragging the hose around irks me..catches on stuff, etc. I have no dedicated space for the work, so getting the hose set-up & out of the way, plus giving me agility while I work, is problematic. All I can suggest is, give 'er a try hooked to a vacuum..if it works, well bob's your uncle. :-) Have fun & when you get to using it, give us a report.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pixley View Post
    Bruce, excellent work. Most impressive!
    Thanks Shawn, it was a fun build. How's the neck doing?

Andy Rooney

I don't have that particular product from them Julie, but I do have some MicroFence stuff and it's top-top-notch in precision and quality. Good folks.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I don't have that particular product from them Julie, but I do have some MicroFence stuff and it's top-top-notch in precision and quality. Good folks.
    What he said.......

The Micro Plunge base arrived yesterday. I didn't have much time to check it out but I did put it together and spent a little time trying to see how it will work with fretboard inlays.

I purchased an extra light and their dust collection hood. This is what came (less the Dremel). I really like being able to plunge. This makes the Stew Mac base seem like a kid's toy. Depth settings are very easy and the plunge works well.

I found once you install the dust hood, you lose the ability to install the second light. BTW, you have to remove the key ring (as seen on the one on the right) before you can insert it in the hole in the base.

When I went to see how it might work, I found it difficult to get the light directed properly. It wasn't the dust hood but rather the height of the light base that was the problem. If the goose neck was longer, then maybe you could get the light directed to where you're routing. I found it very difficult to get the light directed properly once I plunged the tool. If you have to plunge deeper, you'd eventually lose the light completely.

As a work-around, I laid the light base horizontal and I was able to get the light where I wanted, though I don't know if this will block my view when routing. I was thinking double-sided tape to keep the light in place.

After spending about 30 minutes looking at the possibilities as how to best get the light to be most effective, I think maybe drilling holes in the dust hood as ports for the heads of the light to go. The short goose neck does present some challenges in making that idea work. When I have time, I'll toy with it some more and see if I can come up with something that works better.

Julie, maybe you could lay it like you have it on the upper plate and tie it down with string? I'd try using a piece of soft foam rubber underneath it to keep it from squirming around. Kind of hokey but it might work.

Andy Rooney

Thank you, Bruce. I've toyed with the light thing some more. I'm finding those little lights that came with the base aren't what I'd hoped for. For what I need, they don't work very well. The base is beautifully engineered and built but the lights fall short of the same attention to design they put into the base.

Yesterday I took some time out to do some inlay routing on a piece of ebony. I'm making a logo emblem for an old turntable I recently brought back to life. When I said the Micro Fence plunge base makes the StewMac base look like a toy, I had no idea that it would perform even better than that against the SM base in operation. The ability to plunge to an exact depth, lock it, rout, and then release it was a pleasure. With the SM base, you set the depth, try to lock it in place, angle the base and bring it down until it sits flush on the surface. And don't forget to lay the router on its side when you're done! With the MF base, the operation is the same as with all plunge bases - easy.

Next peasant surprise was the efficiency of dust collection. It cleared out the waste as fast as I could rout, leaving a clear view to the cut lines. The lack of sufficient light was the only problem in seeing those lines. I supposed if I scored them, I might have been able to more easily seen them. Anyway, this was my point of view:

The camera increased the actual brightness of the light but you can see what I was able to see while routing. The dust hood does impair the view a bit, but I didn't find that a big problem. I had to be careful not to rock the base while routing. If I had other pieces the same thickness, that wouldn't have been a concern. I'm still considering cutting away some of the dust hood in front to open up the view.

With the dust being completely cleared as I routed, I was able to move pretty quickly through the work. And there was no need for a respirator. I have this hooked up so when I press a floor pedal, the Dremel turns on and that triggers the dust collector to turn on. All I need to do now is get the light thing resolved. Who knows, I may one day become skilled at inlay?