Thread: Knob & Tote Confusion?

Knob & Tote Confusion?

I have several old Stanley/Bailey planes of various sizes. Looking at all the knobs and totes, I'm a little confused as to the size of each. I know that at some point, the knobs got taller, but that's all I know.
    Are the knob and tote sizes unique to the size of plane? If I need replacements, how do I shop for them? Are all Stanley knobs and totes made of Rosewood? Thanks for the help.

If you want information on Stanley planes check out these three websites: 1 2 3 . Patrick Leach's site (#3) has everything you need and want to know about Stanley planes. Yes the older planes have a lower knob and I believe Stanley switched to the taller knob in the 20's. I remember that during WWII Stanley quit using rosewood and then restarted in the late 40's and 50's; with the type 19. In the 60's rosewood was discontinued and the quality of their planes dropped off.
    My woodworking theory: Measure with a micrometer, Mark with chalk, Cut with an ax.

Blog Entries
    The Stanley/Bailey bench planes use different sized knobs & totes on the #1, 2, 3 & 4 though often the #3 & 4 share the same knobs and totes. The #5-1/4 uses the same wood ware as the #3.

The totes for the #4-1/2 & 5 through #8 are pretty much the same size. The knobs are sometimes larger on the larger planes.

At times the knobs did change through the years of manufacture on the short knob variety.

About 1920 the knob changed from a low knob to a tall knob. In about 1929 a ring was added in the casting to prevent the knob from fracturing at it base.

Some tall knobs are taller than others. Some short knobs are shorter than others. Before the 1880s there was a bead on the base of the knob.

The tote also had its variations over the years.

Here is a post on totes with discussion and pictures:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...r-a-Plane-Tote

My post, #11 of 03-03-2010, 6:32 PM (actually my third in the thread) has some pictures showing some of the differences.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Derek,

Just to add a bit to the excellent advise given above. As Jim pointed out, Stanley added the ring in the very late 20s. Those knobs for the ring type of plane are often tapered in at the base to fit inside the rim.

My experience has been that you have to match the tote to the type of plane you own. What I mean by this is that the tote off of one of the later Stanley #4 planes, say a type 15, may very well not fit a type 10 Stanley #4 plane very well. I have type 10 that someone replaced the tote on with one from a later Stanley #4, and it does not fit well at all. I ended up bending the mounting rod in a vice, so that the tote would fit. Right now I regret that move, and am thinking about buying a replacement rod and doing some constructive modification of the tote to make it fit correctly.

I am sure that there are ranges of Stanley plane types where the same tote fits them all, given the planes are the same size, but I don't know which ones they are.

The best bet is to go to one of the Stanley plane type sites, and figure out what the type number for your plane is. You can then go to Ebay, or some other source that sells vintage or replacement totes, and look for that type number. Beware, however, as my experience is that quite often Ebay sellers do not know the type number of the parts they are selling, despite their best intentions.
    In fact, from what I see, and I look at a lot of planes on Ebay, I think that the average seller is far more likely to get the type number wrong on the old Stanley plans than to get it right.

Stew

Blog Entries
    Beware, however, as my experience is that quite often Ebay sellers do not know the type number of the parts they are selling, despite their best intentions.
    This isn't just ebay sellers. There is an antique mall in Olympia, WA with one vendor of tools. He almost always has the wrong type attribution on his planes.

Recently in a Habitat For Humanity Restore there was a very over priced #5. It was in very bad condition. When asked why the high price, the counter person replied that it was from 1907. It had a patent date of 1910, which indicates it was from the late 1920s when the 1902 dates were removed from the casting.

Many sellers are not as educated as some of the buyers. It has been an advantage at times. Some will not be persuaded, some will be more willing to bargain with a "knowledgeable" buyer.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Can you suggest some knowledgable knob and tote sellers, please? Thanks for some good, solid info.