Thread: Door panel trim part 3

Door panel trim part 3

Roger asked me to post this so here it is. Pretty much straight forward. Instead of carving 180 sticks for the trim I only had to carve each of the masters and then I can cast the rest as they will be covered in gilt.

Here all that is needed is to make a mold of the master. I did these in silicon instead of rubber.
    Once I had the mold i repurposed the form to make the castings. I decided to make
    them out of high density foam so I needed a kid because of the expansion factor. Had I cast in resins this would not be necessary of course.
    One nice trick with the HDF is a release agent ( using a silicone mold) isn't needed so that is a benefit and if you give the mold a quick shot of primer it will act as a sort of release agent as well as give you a primed ( in all the nooks and crannies) stick of molding.
    Here you can see the molds being taken of the masters.
    The stencil I made to spray primer into the mold.
    The lidded " half and half" type box with the casting in the mold
    The cast popped out of the mold.
    and the results of a couple hrs work.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Woodworking Studio

Thanks Mark. I have been wanting to try this but haven't had the opportunity yet. The visual helps me out. Is there any trick to repair imperfections in the casts?
    "Always Chipping Away"

Putty. but flaws are minimal if any at this point .
    if you do use the HDF you do need vent slots to allow air to escape and prevent an air lock. And since it is filled with more material to get a higher density it really does exert a LOT of pressure.
    The Woodworking Studio

I've made a 2nd small mold as I have to make twice as many of these and it speeds production. Here is one day's work.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Woodworking Studio

I've ended up abandoning the foam casts and now I'm doing a resin type. More durable, crisper details, easy to cut and sand.
    The Woodworking Studio