Thread: Exterior paint options with HVLP

Exterior paint options with HVLP

I'm looking to convert an old dining room credenza into outdoor patio service. It's for our daughter and only needs to hold up for a year or 2 max, then off to the landfill. To save time, I'd like to spray a suitable exterior pigmented paint using my Fuji 4-stage HVLP. Any suggestions on brand/type that could be thinned and sprayed with reasonable results? I'm assuming one of the many acrylics out there? Again, only needs to hold up for up to 2 years in our mild SF Bay Area climate.

Many thanks
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

I have a Fuji Gold 4 stage. Used Behr exterior on my garden shed. Worked perfectly. I always dilute acrylic latex paint with water and floetrol for spraying. My formula is about 3oz each and then fill to 32oz total with paint. Stir and pour. I now use the 3M cups with my Fuji guns.

General finishes milk paints are rated for exterior and can be sprayed with hvlp using a 1.8mm tip, might have to thin just a bit or use their WB reducer/extender, though they say it can be sprayed right out of the can. I used it once, decent finish, didn't use for exterior, did have to thin just a bit.
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

General finishes milk paints spray pretty well without any thinner (I bought an earlex, used the bigger aperture that came with it, and refinished a desk for my son this past winter)

https://generalfinishes.com/videos/h...t#.VTQMUs40ZhA

I've also seen them say that they are rated for outdoor use, but I don't have any experience with outdoor durability.

Matt

Any exterior or interior/exterior product will hold up for a couple of years.

To save some $$, hit the borgs or a local paint store and see what they have on their mis-tint pile.
    Just make sure you buy enough to do the whole project.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Any exterior or interior/exterior product will hold up for a couple of years.

To save some $$, hit the borgs or a local paint store and see what they have on their mis-tint pile.
    Just make sure you buy enough to do the whole project.
    Another inexpensive option would be looking at a Habitat ReStore.

Normally, I would strongly recommend against thinning exterior paint, but since you're only looking to get a couple years out of it...
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Ended up going with Benjamin Moore "Ben" exterior acrylic, diluted ~15% with water. Sprayed very nicely with the Fuji 1.5mm tip.

Thanks for the advice.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.