Thread: how to hang a wood mirror

how to hang a wood mirror

OK...just finished a trying hour and thought there must be some collective wisdom on this.

I'm building the frame for a mirror. So i figured it would be a good idea to mount the frame to the wall first before i got the glass installed. I bought a hanger that has to be mounted "just right" -- keyhole hangers (http://www.homedepot.com/p/OOK-20-lb...0236/100018911). Maybe i picked the wrong type of hanger but i'm curious if there's a good method to get everything lined up.

here's what i did. I put the screws in the studs first and then pressed the frame against those screws to see where the screw heads hit the frame. In theory this should have worked fine but it still took me a bunch of trial and error. Is this the typical method?
    Bob C

Bob
    I personally don't go with the hangers you are using. I am a bit of a freak when it comes to pictures, mirrors, etc. It drives me crazy when they aren't lined up right. With the hangers you are using, there is simply no margin for error. I favor using wire attached to both sides of the mirror and one nail, screw, in the wall; if it's really heavy, two nails, screws in the wall. You then have the ability to level it properly. If you find the mirror tilting forward slightly and you want to correct that, add a felt pad or some kind of spacer on the bottom of each lower side of the mirror. Just my method, hope it helps.

Here is the hardware I typically attach to each side of the mirror.

mirror.jpg

I've made a few of these which obviously benefit from keyholes. Precise on-center measuring yields good results.

For mirrors and similar items I use the mechanical fasteners described above.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Brandstetter View Post
    Here is the hardware I typically attach to each side of the mirror.

mirror.jpg
    OK...yes i can see where that would be easier. Next Time.
    Bob C

Bob, I hope you didn't take my response at a "shot" at your method. I have tried your method early on and got quite frustrated by it an changed my ways to the one I mentioned. That's the only reason for my reply. I for some reason, always, screw up the holes and get everything off level when it requires exact measurements like this. In fact, I hung an extra carbon monoxide detector today and no matter what I did, using their template, the darn thing wasn't level. Had to end up playing with it for far too long to get it right. Another simple 5 minute job that turned into more than it should have.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cooper View Post
    OK...yes i can see where that would be easier. Next Time.

It should only take 3 minutes to hang a mirror... unless your wife is supervising then 6 - 8 hours is pretty typical!

Blog Entries
    If your frame design will allow it, a French cleat is the easiest way to hang a mirror and get it level the first time.

WoodWhisperer just put out a video of a bathroom mirror and I really liked the hanging hardware he used. Essentially its a french cleat, like Lee suggested above.

Use a piece of blue painter's tape on the back of the mirror, from hanger to hanger, and punch a hole in the tape where the screw would need to sit. Transfer the tape to the wall as a template. I have used this and it works well. I have also used a dab of toothpaste on each hanger and then pressed it against the wall to mark the holes, and that is a little harder to get exact.