Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: regular vs impact bits and sockets for 12v impact driver.

regular vs impact bits and sockets for 12v impact driver.

I am thinking of buying a Bosch 12v impact driver and am wondering whether I can use my regular screw driver bits and sockets with it . I am only using this for hobby projects and not for professional use.

I haven't found a big difference in the driver bits, all seem to work better with the impact driver with less run out. I wouldn't recommend using regular sockets with an impact though. Even with occasional use, chrome plated sockets can delaminate with an impact. Non-chrome impact suitable socket sets are pretty reasonable.

For bits, just use the ones you have, and when it comes time to replace them, if they've died quicker on you, get impact bits. I had a non-impact rated #2 square drive bit fail on me today, but it was while driving a #14 screw into hard maple with an 18v brushless impact driver. Kinda surprised me, as it was one of the bits with the little hardened square drive. What Bill said about sockets is correct, although you're unlikely to have a problem with any of the brushed 12v 1/4" impact drivers. There are some more powerful 12v brushless impacts that might start to present a risk to quality chrome sockets. Cheap chrome sockets, well, some are so cheap that the chrome will delaminate from a harsh glance...
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

In a pinch, I've used regular sockets (Craftsman) with my pneumatic impact wrench, rated for up to about 500 ft-lbs. That's probably 3-4x what the best impact drivers can do. No delamination. I don't even think twice about using chrome sockets with my impact driver (Bosch 18V).
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Decent sockets are ok for a 12V impact.

Regular #2 Phillips bits are like candy to a 12 V impact. It gobbles them up and asks for more.
    #2 Phillips impact bits are pretty cheap though. Amazon has a 15 pack of Makita impact #2 bits for 10 bucks.
    IIRC, you can buy a two pack of DeWalt impact #2 bits at the borg for a buck and a half.

These are just the bits - you'll also need a magnetic hex shank holder, but, usually the average DIY type has a half dozen of those floating around.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I bought a set of Ryobi bits at HD for about $15, might have been $20, that I use in my Ryobi 18V impact driver all the time. It has the longer, maybe 2 inch, bits that you don't need a holder for. I find the impact driver destroys the magnetism of the bit holders and also tends to separate them. For sockets, I use regular sockets with no issues. This set also has some nut drivers, however, which are handy. Ryobi bits are not the best (I find DeWalt and Bosch are better, even Irwin) but for the price I like this set. The 2 inch bits hold up well but I've already destroyed the bit holder (using it as an extension for an Irwin speed bore bit).

for bits I have used regular bits, and they work fine, they do wear out, I bought some milwaukee sets at homedepot when they were on sale and 1 of them is a impact set, those bits seem to last a long time.

if your anything like me I lose the bits faster then I wear them out

I've fractured quite a few of the regular bits but the Milwaukee impact ones I've only lost. Sockets I've used the chrome ones but have read that its a good way to get a nasty cut if you crack it. I got a 1/4" drive 12V Milwaukee impact wrench (not a 1/4" hex drive but an actual impact wrench) for Christmas for use on the cars, lawn equipment, and general household use and bought a set of Grey Pneumatic impact sockets on Amazon. The seem to be a really nice quality socket for a good price.

Thanks for all your inputs. I will replace the regular bits with impact ones when needed. However I had better get some Phillips type bits as these are quite commonly used.

At first I was thinking of only purchasing the Bosch impact driver but I think the combo kit of drill plus impact driver is a better deal especially the refurb one from CPO. Tools . Any comments regarding refurb from CPO Tools ?

Tks

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff H Lee View Post
    Thanks for all your inputs. I will replace the regular bits with impact ones when needed. However I had better get some Phillips type bits as these are quite commonly used.

At first I was thinking of only purchasing the Bosch impact driver but I think the combo kit of drill plus impact driver is a better deal especially the refurb one from CPO. Tools . Any comments regarding refurb from CPO Tools ?

Tks
    If you want to go with 12v, I expect due to the size rather than cost, I hate myself for saying this, but go for the Milwaukee Fuel. You'll get better power and, most importantly, longer battery life, with the brushless. Bosch has a brushless 12v platform, but so far they've only brought the drill and the dorky little screwdriver to these shores. In case you're wondering, the reason why I hate to point you toward the Milwaukee is that I've got the Bosch brushed 12v drill/driver, impact driver, 2 dorky screwdrivers, and the oscillating multitool. That said, if you're not interested in brushless, then I heartily recommend the Bosch.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sanford View Post
    If you want to go with 12v, I expect due to the size rather than cost, I hate myself for saying this, but go for the Milwaukee Fuel. You'll get better power and, most importantly, longer battery life, with the brushless. Bosch has a brushless 12v platform, but so far they've only brought the drill and the dorky little screwdriver to these shores. In case you're wondering, the reason why I hate to point you toward the Milwaukee is that I've got the Bosch brushed 12v drill/driver, impact driver, 2 dorky screwdrivers, and the oscillating multitool. That said, if you're not interested in brushless, then I heartily recommend the Bosch.
    Thanks for reminding me that there are also the newer but more expensive brushless motor powered drills and impact drivers.

I understand the difference between brushed and brushless motors and their characteristics because I fly Electric Radio Control model airplanes. Almost no one uses brushed motors any more for Model Airplanes and they are all Lithium powered ( LIPO) . However if I don't plan to use the Lithuim batteries for a long time ( like over the winter in my case) then the way to keep them is to store at 50% capacity .

For what I intend do with the the impact drill , I think a brushed motor would be fine.
    Last edited by Jeff H Lee; 04-20-2015 at 1:40 PM. Reason: add new inpout

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff H Lee View Post

Tks
    Bee's knees of Phillips bits:

http://www.amazon.com/3-80202-Philli...hilips+II+bits

They don't seem to wear out, they just eventually snap the tip off, but after a good, long life. They also grip screws very well--if you set a screw on the bit and give it a bit of a twist, you can hold the bit and screw vertically without the screw falling off (bit above screw).
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Chrome plating causes steel to become more brittle (I think it is nitrification). This is why impact sockets have a black oxide finish instead of a chrome finish. Impact sockets usually have a thicker wall and are not heat treated as hard as chrome hand sockets so they can put up with more punishment. On an impact wrench I would not use chrome sockets. On an impact driver you are probably OK. I have come across more than a few philips bits that are heat treated too hard and shatter in just a regular drill without an impact mechanism. A good philips bit is a balance of hard enough to not strip the bit but not so hard that it will shatter.

14. I have the Bosch 12v drills and drivers. Excellent tools at an affordable price.

I'm a Creeker, yes I m.
    I fries my bacon in a wooden pan.