Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Texting while driving?

Texting while driving?

I know there are laws against, but I see more texting while driving than ever before. It seems like if I am next to another car on a two-lane road, that there is about a one in ten chance that the other driving is texting. Under thirty-YO people, mostly.

It has altered the way I drive. I drive far more defensively than I used to. In the "olden days" I didn't like bumper to bumper traffic, but tolerated it. Now days I'll avoid bumper to bumper at all costs, trying to find a spot where someone is several seconds behind me and I've got a nice cushion in front.

But driving to/from Madison from Milwaukee, it sometimes seems like everyone is texting.

The one that drives me a little bonkers is people checking emailing or texting while sitting at stop lights. The light changes, they just sit there because they aren't looking up.

PUT THE PHONE DOWN AND DRIVE.

I'm baffled by what's SOOOO important in these people's lives that they can't go minutes without checking messages.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

one in ten? I say one in five. I see it ALL THE TIME.

Phil,

Long before I retired, my former employer provided us with cell phones. Myself and another guy covered an area about 130 miles by 130 miles. A lot of the area is mountainous, so coverage lacked but still they provided us a way to communicate so we could give better service to our customers. After about 8 months, I realized that if I answered the phone and talked while driving, the distraction effected my driving. One day I told my coworker, that if I didn't immediately answer his calls and called back a few minutes later, I was looking for a place to pull off the road. I didn't feel safe driving and talking on the cell phone. He said he'd come to the same conclusion. About a year later, the giant corporation came down with an edict. "If you could not answer or make a call 'hands free' while driving, you were to pull off the road.

My new SUV has blue-tooth and I do occasionally talk "hands free" while on the road but I try to keep the conversations short.

Texting while driving is even more dangerous. The people doing it will have to learn for themselves.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Eating your McDonalds hamburger and trying to dip your fries into the ketchup that you dispensed onto the box or burger wrapper is equally dangerous, as is trying to read a map, use the gps, putting on mascara / checking your makeup, shaving, scolding your kids in the back seat, searching for a radio station, blah, blah, blah. Welcome to the 21st century.

Like the sign on a church said, 'Honk if you love Jesus... text if you want to meet Him'
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

This is one of the dangers of modern technology. My hope is that this is a temporary bad period that will no longer matter when self-driving cars are common. Or at least "crash proof" cars that don't let teenagers do anything stupid while texting and driving.

Steve

They just enacted the no texting law here in ATX this year and apparently have done some big enforcement weekends recently. Agree with all the above: Very dangerous. Been almost run off the road several times by hipsters or clueless SUV wives, driving while texting. I don't answer my phone at all while driving. It can wait.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Phil,

Long before I retired, my former employer provided us with cell phones. Myself and another guy covered an area about 130 miles by 130 miles. A lot of the area is mountainous, so coverage lacked but still they provided us a way to communicate so we could give better service to our customers. After about 8 months, I realized that if I answered the phone and talked while driving, the distraction effected my driving. One day I told my coworker, that if I didn't immediately answer his calls and called back a few minutes later, I was looking for a place to pull off the road. I didn't feel safe driving and talking on the cell phone. He said he'd come to the same conclusion. About a year later, the giant corporation came down with an edict. "If you could not answer or make a call 'hands free' while driving, you were to pull off the road.

My new SUV has blue-tooth and I do occasionally talk "hands free" while on the road but I try to keep the conversations short.

Texting while driving is even more dangerous. The people doing it will have to learn for themselves.
    I drive a ton for work, too. Our jobs aren't actually very different, I just work on servers and other IT stuff. And I won't talk on the phone. I might answer a call and say "I'll call back." But I have people that try to keep me on the phone and I'll just hang right up on them. Not worth it. I won't talk hands-free either. All my concentration is on the road, watching for the texters. I'm totally serious about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    one in ten? I say one in five. I see it ALL THE TIME.
    I didn't want to be accused for exaggerating but Mke to Madison, yeah it is that bad. Especially on a Sunday evening when kids are returning the school. Just ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Eating your McDonalds hamburger and trying to dip your fries into the ketchup that you dispensed onto the box or burger wrapper is equally dangerous, as is trying to read a map, use the gps, putting on mascara / checking your makeup, shaving, scolding your kids in the back seat, searching for a radio station, blah, blah, blah. Welcome to the 21st century.
    While I agree, people scarf the burger in ten minutes. But they will text for an hour. The danger (with texting) never goes away.

I had a couple of conversations on Saturday about the modern conveniences that make for hazardous driving. The neighborhood where I live has an annual community garage sale and Saturday was the day. Things I've not seen offered at a garage sale before were present this year. A truck, two motorcycles, a motor home, and (hopefully) a vintage Vette that the owner wasn't aware he wanted to sell until I asked. Both couples who were trying to sell a motorcycle, really nice bikes, stated they just don't feel safe riding any longer. They had been riding for years but noticed over the past couple of years a lot more "near misses" and lack of driver awareness and sharing the road.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    Both couples who were trying to sell a motorcycle, really nice bikes, stated they just don't feel safe riding any longer. They had been riding for years but noticed over the past couple of years a lot more "near misses" and lack of driver awareness and sharing the road.
    Well Belinda, two reasons for that

- more traffic, more distracted drivers

- couples are getting older and their riding skills are declining. I hate to admit it, however after riding for 40 years and having been a riding instructor, my skills are declining. Refresher courses help, I also changed to a model with ABS and traction control, I need all the help I can get.

regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Well Belinda, two reasons for that

- more traffic, more distracted drivers

- couples are getting older and their riding skills are declining. I hate to admit it, however after riding for 40 years and having been a riding instructor, my skills are declining. Refresher courses help, I also changed to a model with ABS and traction control, I need all the help I can get.

regards, Rod.
    Yep, I used to ride. Have thought of getting another bike. Not in this environment.

And yeah I'm getting older, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    The one that drives me a little bonkers is people checking emailing or texting while sitting at stop lights. The light changes, they just sit there because they aren't looking up.

PUT THE PHONE DOWN AND DRIVE.

I'm baffled by what's SOOOO important in these people's lives that they can't go minutes without checking messages.
    I agree 100%, put the phone down and drive. Its an epidemic of distracted drivers.