Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Check cashing question.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Fries View Post
    I have a buyer for something I listed on craigslist. he said he cannot come look at it because of work schedule.
    Offer to met him in his work parking lot at his convenience and see how the story changes.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Fries View Post
    I have a buyer for something I listed on craigslist. he said he cannot come look at it because of work schedule. He offered to send me a US certified check or a cashiers check to pay for it. he said after the check clears, his mover would come pick it up.

Is there any way I can lose on this? I have never had any experience with this kind of payment.

Thanks
    Have him send you an email money transfer..............Rod.

Tell him you will wait 3 weeks after cashing the check to give it time to bounce. If he is okay with that you can lose only the $25 your bank will charge for a bounced check. He knows it won't get him anything, so why would he bother sending you a check unless it was good?

I did that once and regretted it. I kept waiting for the notice that the check bounced. It never did, and all was well. But paying paypal a couple percent would have let me sleep better.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Ya never know. Maybe they have a 'printing' (counterfeiting) branch .
    Yes, but you can take the cash to the bank immediately. If the bank accepts the cash (and they will check it) you're home free. The bank can't go back and find where a specific $100 bill came from once it goes into the teller's tray.

Like Myk said: Craigslist = cash. Never take anything else.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Thanks for all ofthe good advice everyone. Looks like this really does have a scent of a possible scam. I like the idea of cash combined with the offer to bring it to his work. I might just not respond to him. after reading your responses, I wondered why if he was so busy, he just did not give the cash to his "mover" to come pick it up.

I listed that PTAC unit that I posted in the classified ads here after there was no interest. If you missed it and you could use one check the classified ads here. One of my concerns is to move it. It is big and heavy and I have a Toyota Matrix. i am not really all that comfortable inviting unknowns to my home. At the same time, I do not want to take it somewhere for a no show.

Oh well, someone will have a home for it soon.
    Sometimes decisions from the heart are better than decisions from the brain.

Enjoy Life...

I meet in my bank parking lot, accept cash, and once it's okayed by a teller, goods exchange hands. Anything else, don't waste my time.

The "I'm away/abroad/busy and will pay-by-cashier's-check and send my mover/shipper" is 99.999999999% a scam...if not 100%. Don't even bother to reply.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...