Thread: Garage Doors

Garage Doors

Liking woodworking, I installed an Amish made cedar door about six years ago. It faces South and sits atop a hill with nothing blocking it. The extreme wet weather destroyed the door even though regular maintenance happened. We are pondering garage doors and looking at options including a copper or "rusted" garage door. It's a ranch house. Any suggestions?

Blog Entries
    Several companies offer metal or fiberglass doors that look like wood that are very difficult to tell from the real thing. Take a look at these doors.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Lee,

Thanks for the link. They are much better looking than in the past. Will have to go to a showroom and have a peak.

Our garage door company made us craftsman style doors out of Azek with steel stiffeners on the back side. I think they look pretty good and hope they will last a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    Our garage door company made us craftsman style doors out of Azek with steel stiffeners on the back side. I think they look pretty good and hope they will last a long time.
    That will prove interesting to see in the long run. Azek is fairly flexible to say the least. I don't think they can make it look like metal or copper though.

No, it makes a nice painted surface though, and doesn't have the dreaded "look of real wood". Tired of replacing rotten wood doors.

I have metal door from Raynor and very happy with it. A lot better insulated than wood.

Steel garage doors last a lifetime, no comparison to wood. Do you have a natural wood siding house?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    Steel garage doors last a lifetime, no comparison to wood. Do you have a natural wood siding house?
    We have a brick veneer sided home. We would just like the look of a rusted metal door or copper door as opposed to painted metal.