Thread: Child-size workbench

Child-size workbench

Hi. I spent yesterday afternoon and a few hours today working on a project for my son's 3rd birthday. He is always trying to do stuff in the shop and I would like to teach him one day how to build furniture. I thought he would like a workbench of his own, so he doesn't have to use grownup sized things all the time. I went and bought a bunch of basic small tools at Lowes and HF and a toolbox.

The workbench is solidly built, using scraps in my shop. It measures about 25" tall, 32" wide, 13" deep. The wood is cherry and poplar on the top, pine and cherry on the base. Mortise and tenon construction, BLO finish (only one coat on so far), Wilton vise.

I thought that I'd make something that wouldn't be in the way in the shop. This one could double as a small assembly table or something to put something on, while it isn't used by the kids. It is solid enough that I won't have to worry about breaking it. The design is almost an exact copy of my workbench, just scaled down a lot.

What do you think?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ernie Hobbs
    Winston-Salem, NC

That looks really great, Ernie!! Your son's a lucky fellow...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Ernie, great bench! I think the grandkids and great-grandkids will be using that one!

Wes

Not Fair! He's only 3 and he already has a nicer bench than I do. He even gets a Wilton vise too.
    All kidding aside Ernie, that's a real nice looking bench you made there. I'm sure he'll get a lot of playtime in on it.
    Once again, nice work

That is too cool, Ernie. I'm guessing that bench will be in the family for a long time.

When I was 6, I saved up my allowance and bought a mail order set of "tools" that were so cheap my dad insisted we return them. The next Saturday, he took me to Sears and we bought a toolbox full of Craftsman tools. A few "real" screwdrivers, pliers, a Crescent wrench or two, a little block plane, and a little hammer. (I don't remember all the details, but I'd imagine he kicked in a few bucks for the purchase.) More than 40 years later, I still have and use many of those original tools...some were lost years ago when a toolbox was stolen from an apartment I was rehabbing. My dad made it a point back then -- one I sometimes seem to forget -- that you only need to buy good tools once. I have an idea your son is going to learn similar lessons, considering the quality of shop fixtures he's being raised around.

- Vaughn

Pretty nice bench Ernie. You're reminding me that I have to get off my dead butt and get started on the same thing. I've promised a child's work area in the shop for a couple of years and haven't done it yet. I better hurry before they become teenagers and don't want anything to do with me!!!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Of all the toys I got for Christmas when I was a kid, I remember that I got the most fun out of a hammer and a box of roofing nails. I think there were hammer tracks on just about everything in the yard. There was a big pile of dirt with a piece of plywood on top (Dad was working on the house)- I think I put a hundred nails in that sheet of plywood.

By the way- of the set of tools, yes, it does include a small hammer and a box of 1" roofing nails. Hopefully he'll learn what is OK and not OK to practice his hammering skills on.
    Ernie Hobbs
    Winston-Salem, NC

too cool,
    Need to make one of those for my shop. Have to find a 'steal' on some maple to go with my cherry haul.
    Ned

2B1ASK1

What do I think?

You asked what we think....I think your a good dad.
    Great idea...enjoy.

I am new to the group but have a great affinity for teaching young kids the proper use of tools and respect for them. This is a great example of how to teach kids respect and to show some great skills in the construction. My compliments.
    Last edited by Joe Blankshain; 08-08-2005 at 10:38 PM.

He liked the stuff. He asked me this morning of he could practice his hammering today.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ernie Hobbs
    Winston-Salem, NC

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Hobbs
    He liked the stuff. He asked me this morning of he could practice his hammering today.
    Very Nice!

...you're shaming me into action soon on my kids' benches Ernie.
    Congrats on a job Well Done!!
    -Mike

Ernie, that is a great work bench. Save these pictures so he can habg them in his shop when the time comes.

Excellant work!

Roger