Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly Jointer

Grizzly Jointer

Hello,

Like many of you I do a lot of research when in the market for a new tool. I decided on a Grizzly jointer, the price having a great deal of bearing on the decision. Another factor was that I purchased a Grizzly Band Saw a few years back and have been very happy with it.

So, I am taking a poll of sorts to see if anyone would have issues if they're shiny new jointer arrived looking like the attached photos or am I being overly sensitive to say that this doesn't meet the quality expectations that I have.

It is difficult to see in the small photos, but what is shown is worn paint, chipping paint, a section that clearly didn't get painted well (along with sections along the thin paint that are ready to flake off, and paint on what is meant to be unpainted surfaces. As far as the chipped paint goes, there are many more areas on the jointer bed that have chipped paint and several areas that the paint is raised and just waiting to get knocked off.

Thanks in advance for any input.

IMG_0659.jpg IMG_0660.jpg IMG_0663.jpg IMG_0666.jpg IMG_0667.jpg

Contact Grizzly and have them send you a new jointer. You paid for a NEW machine, not a used one and shouldn't settle for anything less.

I don't think there's any reason to be concerned.

First pic is clearly from assembly and inside the cabinet. Middle pics are inside the cabinet if I'm not mistaken as well. Last two are part of the fence right? Parts that slide on other parts? There should be paint there to begin with I don't think.

You didn't spend the money on a Ferrari, and are not going to get a perfect Ferrari paint job.

If the tables are flat and true, nothing is bent, and it works properly, I would consider yourself lucky. You may be different, but most folks are incredibly picky about any little defect in the paint of their brand new car, but a couple of years later they no longer even wash it. Same with wood working machines.

John

Have them send you a can of paint instead of going through all the trouble of swapping it.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I usually take a file and remove all the burrs I can when I get a new machine. Usually removes a slight bit of paint. If the machine works right, don't think I would be concerned. Grizzly would probably send you some touch up paint, but I have never asked for any. They are helpful if you have a problem. And they still exist, which is a plus if you ever need parts.

Yes, the first pic is the motor mount brackets. The middle pics are the fence assembly support. The last two are the underside of the fence assembly where there should be no paint. I agree that the paint job does not affect the functionality of the machine. That's my struggle. Am I being too nit picky about appearance. However, I can't help but wonder about the overall workmanship of the machine. If the quality of the exterior is poor, can I expect the same with the important parts. No Ferrari for me. I drive what I call my dog & dump van. It hauls the dogs to the vet and the trash to the dump.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    I don't think there's any reason to be concerned.

First pic is clearly from assembly and inside the cabinet. Middle pics are inside the cabinet if I'm not mistaken as well. Last two are part of the fence right? Parts that slide on other parts? There should be paint there to begin with I don't think.

You didn't spend the money on a Ferrari, and are not going to get a perfect Ferrari paint job.

Just call them and they'll send you a can of touch up paint. If the jointer works as it should, congratulations, you saved a ton of cash if you can live with some paint chips. If not, pay double for the same machine from a manufacturer with a nicer paint job.

The Grizzly discount is for stuff like this. That works for some people, doesn't work for others.

I usually try to imagine what a machine will look like after 5 years of use in my shop. If the fit and finish is worse than what you'd expect after five years...I'd probably ask for something. Fwiw, the 513 bandsaw I just got was immaculate. Fit and finish was impeccable. What did the crate it came in look like? Too be honest, it almost looks like that was a floor model or that it had been moved around uncrated. Good luck!

It looks like I may be in the minority here but I would send it back. Myself I don't like chipped or scuffed up paint on my machines. I have 40-50 year old machines that aren't missing that much paint. I keep matching paint for all of my machines and touch them up periodically. I like them to look good. I use them, but that doesn't mean that they have to look abused. I would call them and tell them to exchange for a "new not used looking" machine. It's possible that they may offer to knock some money off in leau of paying two more shipping charges so be prepared to make that decision if it is offered.
    Good luck.

I would second what John said ... if the tables are flat and true, and everything works ... you're way ahead of the game. Clean up the burrs and have them send some paint.

These are woodworking machines and cosmetic problems are the least of your worries. You can't buy the low end and expect both quality components and great finish. Take Bill's advice. If the machine functions don't worry about paint. Tables out of flat, motors that run hot, or gears that don't quite mesh are problems to concern yourself with. Dave

There's no way Grizzly is going to take it back and send another one, that's $300 in shipping they'd have to eat, and you'd have to crate it all back up. Not worth it for either party. I bet they'd be happy to send you some touch up paint. Give them a call in the morning, I'm sure they'll take care of you.

I think you may be expecting too much out of the band for the buck brand that Grizzly is. I 100% agree with the ananology of a new car scratch and thinking about what the machine will look like in 5 years.

I like the dog and dump van!

I'd send it back and make them pay for the shipping. Fit and finish is the only gauge you have to tell how the rest of the machine was constructed. By those pics the attention to detail is questionable? I'm surprised there are so many guys here saying they would accept this? Looks like your machine was someone else's RETURN!
    You deserve better!

When I got my 12" jointer, I had a scratch on the fence (good size one on top), and there was a casting defect of a broken tooth at the cutter head. I called griz and they sent me a nice new cast fence, and the whole part with the tooth in good shape. I'd have to disassemble the top to change it.

Well that was 10 years ago. I never installed the parts. Still using it with the defective tooth. (moved those parts twice when I moved with my company) . Must have run I don't know how many thousand BF thats been through it.

Point is, if it runs true, and good. Get over it and start making things!