Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Sharpness Epiphanies

Here are a few of the things we have learned from this thread:
    Primary bevel (30 degree, 25 degree, etc) , secondary bevel (a bit higher angle than the primary), back bevel, no back bevel, micro bevel, coplanar bevel, secondary micro bevel, coplanar secondary micro bevel, green stropping gunk on MDF, green stropping gunk on leather, stropping on leather, don't strop too much, don't polish too much, use tormek grinder, flat grinder, 6 inch round wheel grinder, 20 inch round wheel grinder (like Warren), don't let the temperature of the edge get too hot, dip it in water, test the heat with your thumb, use CBN wheels, white wheels, gray wheels, hard felt wheels, belt grinder, belt sander, ruler trick, sandpaper on granite, sandpaper on glass, scary sharp, hollow bevel, flat bevel, back bevel, free hand polish, honing guides, DMT stones, shpton stones, waterstones, oilstones, japanese stones, translucent stones, arkansas stones, hard black stones, Seller's method, Cosman's method, Weaver's method, everyone else's methods, lift up a little for that secondary micro bevel. Remove the wear, refresh the edge. Oh yeah, remember to always flatten your stones before / after each use (a whole 'nother discussion). I can't even count how many comments were on the lines of 'my head hurts', or now I need a 'scrumpy'.

Overall its been interesting, very much enlightening as to the world of possibilities, not much of teaching guide though. Like I said, to each his own.

Pat that's funny.

And all its about is two edges meeting in as sharp a point as possible.

Sometimes language just seems to confuse communication with complication, and the result is a compilation of misinformation..

4. But.... but.... sharpness isn't about two faces meeting in an abstractly perfect union.... it's about the ability to cut!

Stewie, I'll try to find some of https://www.danmurphys.com.au/produc...umpy-flagon-2l on this side of the pond. I really like your Sheaf Stout but I can't find it here any more.

Thanks for the information.

Blog Entries
    I really like your Sheaf Stout but I can't find it here
    I haven't seen that in years.

One that I do like is Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout.

There is also Anderson Valley Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout.
    It's not just shy sluggin’ gorms neemer.
    (It’s not just for breakfast anymore.)

http://www.andersonvalleymuseum.org/boont.html

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Bumping to mention that I received the three-stone Sigma Power set from Stuart at Tools from Japan today. I got an unsharpened narex bench chisel to hair-shaving sharpness in the space of about three minutes. Bit of a revelation compared to my old set of King stones! I'm kind of excited...

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Stevens2 View Post
    Bumping to mention that I received the three-stone Sigma Power set from Stuart at Tools from Japan today. I got an unsharpened narex bench chisel to hair-shaving sharpness in the space of about three minutes. Bit of a revelation compared to my old set of King stones! I'm kind of excited...
    I ordered the same set just under 2 weeks ago. Been anxiously waiting for it to arrive. The long lead time is definitely something to consider when buying from Japan.