Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pet Friendly Weed Killer???

Pet Friendly Weed Killer???

Is there such a thing as pet-friendly weed killer? I have one dog that treats a lawn like a salad bar. Because of her, I don't want to even spray the front yard with weed killer even though the fence keeps her in the back.

I am a firm believer in just spraying the weeds. Reducing the amount used by 90% has to be good.

Rich - just an observation, but you have A LOT of projects going on right now! Maybe we need a Sub forum for all your threads.

Matt,

That's an idea. The weed killer is a delegated task though. Just not sure if a pet-safe one exists.

Blog Entries
    My pet safe weed killer is called a fork. A small shovel can also help.

We have free ranging chickens and I don't like to spray anything least it ends up in my eggs for breakfast.

BTW, sometimes we stop fast forwarding just to watch that GEICO commercial. Wish our chickens would send us some pictures whilst they are out and about.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Unfortunately, it's a hoe.
    I hear where you're coming from. I have a dog that likes to drink the water off the driveway in the winter, so I can't use any type of salt or de-icing products or she "yarks up in" the house.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Listening to the last couple bits of advices I went with a Fiskars unit that removes them. It's almost all dandelions here we don't want. The wife likes the "weeds" that look like little flowers. Here is a link to the one we bought. It gets great reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I thought I heard or read somewhere that vinegar will kill dandelions, but don't know if it is pet safe. As far as the other weeds go I don't know of anything pet safe.

http://www.weekendgardener.net/lawn-...nic-050905.htm

Down about the middle of the page they cite vinegar with 20 - 25% acidity as a option.

Here is another suggestion of vinegar as an option.

http://landscaping.about.com/od/weed...egar_weeds.htm

And one more.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/homemad...ler-44593.html
    Last edited by George Bokros; 04-22-2015 at 9:16 AM.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Many of the lawn products are safe once they dry but can not find much on eating the grass.

I use the weed killers but do spot treatment and keep dogs off for at least 24 hours. I will spray part of the yard one time are then do the other later.

With my dogs I would not risk it if the dogs were eating grass....probably would wait at least a week or more. I could not live with myself if the dogs got really sick because of this.

Horticultural Vinegar will kill weeds and any grass it hits. Pets or wildlife won't eat any or at least not much because of the bitter taste. It is basically extra strong white vinegar, preferably with some surfactants in it. It can be bought for about $10 per gallon at the right places.

I use a piece of rock salt which I apply to the open dandelion root after tearing it off w/ the ground.

Other weeds get dug up.

Goats...but they won't keep to only the weeds.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    Is there such a thing as pet-friendly weed killer?
    1 gallon vineger
    2 cups epson salts
    1/4 cup Dawn dish detergent

I was amazed. It killed everything it was sprayed on in 2 days. My Wife found the recipe someplace. It really does work.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

This is just one I found by looking at doyourownpestcontrol.com. There are others.

http://store.doyourownpestcontrol.co...er-concentrate

Concentrated vinegar.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...