Thread: drawer side thickness

drawer side thickness

I am going to be building quite a few drawers and was wondering what the correct thickness is for the sides of the drawers. These drawers would be for clothing, in a dresser or night stand, and not holding a lot of weight.

I have 4/4 rough cut lumber and was wondering if I could run it through my bandsaw then planer/jointer. Would end up with 3/8 width I'm guessing

The drawer sides for the size of casework you are talking about should be closer to 1/2 inch. I usually resaw 5/4 or 6/4 stock to get a milled 1/2 inch side. Of course everything depends upon how straight your stock is and how good you are at resawing.

3/8" has potential. I've always been partial to 1/2" though. Setup and run a scrap piece and see how close you can get. Depending on your resaw skills, you might end up with a little less than 3/8". I hate to waste wood, but do you have enough just to take the 4/4 down to a smooth 1/2"?

I'm with Barry. My drawer sides are generally 1/2 and the bottoms are a half as well with edges taken down to a 1/4". If you plane down 3/4 to a half, thats a lot of waste. I try to get 5/4 or 6/4 and resaw then plan to minimze waste.

I like 5/8" for drawer sides.

Blog Entries
    I prefer 1/2" thick drawer sides. They are strong enough for most needs and aren't as heavy as drawers made from 3/4" material would be.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I usually use 1/2 Baltic birch plywood for drawers. I don't like planning down to 1/2 and/or resawing plus the glue up necessity with solid wood. The Baltic birch is a little under 1/2 thickness, maybe more like 7/16. I once built kitchen drawers the way you describe. They worked OK but were between 3/8 and 7/16 thick and were difficult to cut dovetails in. I didn't consider it a failure but I didn't want to keep doing it that way either.

I use 9/16 then bullnose the top edge after assembly.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

1/2 inch. Not sure what that is in metric. 1/2 inch looks right, plus its supereasy to figure how that thickness figures into placement of the sides for overlay drawer fronts or inset drawer fronts.

Even for furniture - which is what it sounds like you're proposing - 3/8" is a little light for drawer components unless the pieces are diminutive. It is even a bit light for traditional drawer bottoms (I use 1/2" White pine). Obviously it depends on the drawer size, wood type and approach to construction and installation. I think the challenge is going to be the dado for the bottom (and what's left after cutting) and that 3/8 would likely eliminate installation alternatives except for old fashioned wood runners. I understand your pain. One hates to plane down material to shavings that could have be used for a different project. One option - if it is reasonably nice wood - would be to resaw (example only) to where after planing you have 1/2" (for the drawer components) and 5/16". Use the larger stock for the drawer sides and back, unresawn material for the half-blind fronts, and the smaller dimensioned material for drawer dividers, framed panels (sides and back of the furniture?) or a different project altogether.

I generally use 1/2 to 9?16" for drawer sides

I generally use 1/2" Baltic Birch and round over the top edges. I did use 1/2" soft maple for the vanity I just built though.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I use 1/2" (12mm in metric, for those who may be curious).
    I love mankind. It's people I can't stand.

Second the motion. I'd also add that unless sealed really well you don't want solid wood for drawers unless there is plenty of slop, or really heavy duty slides: when they swell with the humidity they are STUCK.
    >>> Je Suis Charlie <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    1/2 inch. Not sure what that is in metric. 1/2 inch looks right, plus its supereasy to figure how that thickness figures into placement of the sides for overlay drawer fronts or inset drawer fronts.
    12mm is the equivalent of 1/2 inch. It's a wee bit thinner, 'cause there are 25.4 mm per inch - PERIOD. (Definition by international group of scientists, etc. I forget the name. Maybe ISO?)

Since most plywood - even in the good ol' US - is made to metric thicknesses, that is why "1/2 inch ply" isn't..., and the same with the rest of the thicknesses. Of course, the stuff I find in the yards is so variable in thickness that I use a good digital caliper on it when I buy.
    >>> Je Suis Charlie <<<