Thread: Copper ferrules

Copper ferrules

Just wrapped up a few handles for my new Thompson steel, I used 3/4 copper pipe for ferrules. Any thoughts keeping those guys nice and shiny? I didn't know if any kind of finish can be applied to them to prevent or slow oxidization. Thanks
    JP

Lacquer will work so long as the copper is free of contaminates - fingerprints, etc. But, keep in mind that this is a tool, and will sustain wear and be exposed to other chemicals. Odds are, it will show those exposures over time.

I would let them age naturally, then polish on occasion if you want them shiny.

Spend about a year learning how to do some basic engraving and then fancy them up with engraving. Or do like I did and use PVC for ferrules, they don't get dull and if you mess them up you can run a plain cloth buffing wheel on them and make them look like new.

tolyltriazole and benzotriazole are widely use as copper corrosion inhibitors. They are used on shell casings and in water treatment corrosion inhibitors. I don't know where you could buy either one in quantities of less than 55 gal. drums. You might try reloading supply houses. If all else fails, you might try putting a few drops of antifreeze on the ferrule. Antifreeze contains rather high concentrations of azoles to protect the radiator.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Lacquer will work so long as the copper is free of contaminates
    I may give this a try...I know it's not that important, I just prefer a shiny piece of copper to the dull brownish it will eventually become. Thanks guys.

Try Pex fittings. Turn off the narrow end and you have a nice, shiny, brass ferrule. Strong too.
    The older I get the better I was.
    Member Valley Woodturners, Ottawa

I like shiny as well but I've given up on trying to keep the ferrules shiny. I generally just polish with 1000 grit sandpaper and then use whatever finish I am putting on the handles. Even the brass ones tarnish over time. If you really want to keep them shiny about the only way is to forget any finish and use a little brasso every month or so.
    Rick
    I support the Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers project

Instead of copper pipe, I use the couplers. They are thicker. They are usually messed up and have price tag goo on them, but sandpaper takes care of that when I'm sanding the handle after just turning it. As John says it will show exposure over time. That's okay by me since it's a tool to be used. I probably should take better care of my tools though since all I do is use and sharpen them.
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith