Thread: 15" apple bowl

15" apple bowl

Our club harvested some apple from a dying tree last fall. This ii one of the lager pieces. Measures 15" across and 6" deep. Apple is wonderful to turn, but getting all the sanding scratches out takes longer than turning. The blank was cored so I got some smaller ones also. I used Robo Hippy's way of taping the rim to prevent cracking. Finish is oil.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Member Illiana Woodturners

It's a beauty, Bob. Nice form and a lovely chunk of wood.

Very nice!!
    That must of been a massive Apple tree.

I've never seen a 15" apple tree. Nice bowl, Bob.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Did you turn it green then turn it again when it dried ? It is really nice and round, very nice bowl

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph M Lary View Post
    Did you turn it green then turn it again when it dried ? It is really nice and round, very nice bowl
    Yes Joe. Reed gray has suggested on this form a number of times to round the edges of the rim and Saran Wrap it then secure it with some Ductape. I've green turned probably a dozen large bowls now with his method and no cracked rims so far. Thanks Reed! The bowl moved very little and is still quite round. Thanks for the kind words.

Wow! A real beauty.

very nice......apple is tough to turn without cracking

That is a beautiful bowl.

Red
    RED

You did a very nice job on this bowl Bob. Can't get over the size of it too.

Quote Originally Posted by David Delo View Post
    You did a very nice job on this bowl Bob. Can't get over the size of it too.
    \

that's nothing, here is a picture of a coffee table I made from apple, the tree was a good 30 inches across, this is 1 of 2 slabs I got out of it.2014-08-18 06.26.43.jpg2014-08-18 06.26.48.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by cody michael View Post
    \

that's nothing, here is a picture of a coffee table I made from apple, the tree was a good 30 inches across, this is 1 of 2 slabs I got out of it.2014-08-18 06.26.43.jpg2014-08-18 06.26.48.jpg
    Shoot, considering you're in the middle of Michigan you guys probably can use apple for firewood. Beautiful piece you have. That will make one sweet table top. The tree we cut was old and had a large limb break off in a storm. It was the only tree left on a lot on a busy intersection in the south suburbs of Chicago. It was still producing apples,

mine were at my sisters house, she had 4-5 apple trees this size, over 30 inches across, but all except one were hollow, they only had about 5 inches around the edge solid. this one I got 2 slabs and a pile of lumber out of, apple wood got alot of splits and cracks while drying but the nice boards I got were awesome.