Thread: Rubber vs Urethane Band Saw Tires

Rubber vs Urethane Band Saw Tires

Today I went shopping for good old American made rubber band saw tires but they seem to be alittle hard to find.Different places that I went to all had the urethane tires and went into the reason why they no longer sell the rubber ones.But I also read about problems that members having problems with the urethane tires.So as a refresher course,what's the better products on the market now days for some BS tires?Any links,or your thoughts on rubber vs urethane?Thanks Carroll

Blog Entries
    I've had no problems with Urethane tires. I replaced mine years ago with urethane and they are still in good condition. If your wheels have a crown made into the rim and you install the tire poperly, it should last. No adhesive is required.
    I have no experience with rubber tires, so I cannot compare them.

For rubber tires, try Woodworkers Tool Works. You can find them online. I have had excellent service from them.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Carroll Courtney View Post
    Today I went shopping for good old American made rubber band saw tires but they seem to be alittle hard to find.Different places that I went to all had the urethane tires and went into the reason why they no longer sell the rubber ones.But I also read about problems that members having problems with the urethane tires.So as a refresher course,what's the better products on the market now days for some BS tires?Any links,or your thoughts on rubber vs urethane?Thanks Carroll

Central New Jersey, from where you can drive anywhere!
    Woodworkers Tool Works. I have purchased for three band saws from them and there is no better service of more knowledgable people.

I'm not sure which is better, but if you go urethane, look on Amazon. Sulphur Grove has a good selection that will likely fit your wheels better and they are very reasonably priced if you want to try them. I had some from Carter and they did not fit my 14" Delta right.

I would personally prefer rubber but urethane seems to be a lot more widely available.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I agree Erik,I was wondering why it seems that most are directing towards the urethane tires.But my BS is a Delta/Milwaukee which is alittle over 30plus yrs old and the tires are crack.But I think that the past owners including myself got their moneys worth out of them.But the good news is with the help of the members here I order them from Bobby at Woodworkers Tools.Thanks for the help

Carter makes rubber tires as well: http://www.carterproducts.com/band-s...n-rubber-tires

I am a new BS user but I recently purchased a set of urethane tires and I must say that they are working out great compared to the rubber tires I replaced. The first thing I noticed is that the dust from green wood does not seem to stick as much to the urethane. Also had the blade freeze after a chunk o'wood got caught between the throat plate and blade which stopped the blade in its tracks and when I took the cover off there was no damage to the tire. This same thing happened with the rubber tires on and it took out chunks which is why I replaced them.

About 3 weeks ago I replaced the old rubber tires with a pair of new ones, I wanted the same type of tires that came with the saw, the reason for choosing rubber was it worked for all these years so why not stick with something that I know for sure will work.

Urethane tires do not crack over time and do not require glue to install them like many rubber tires do.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.