Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cable Modem Hookup

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Duane Meadows View Post
    You are not just 'y' connecting 3 wires... and if you do you will have loss due to impedance mismatch and other issues. Check specs, 5.5-7db is usually about minimum loss for a splitter. Line tap, 15-20db more typical. They look the same, but are for different applications. Good reason to know what you are looking at/for, and the effects of inserting one.
    What, exactly, are we talking about, a simple splitter or a distribution network? A splitter is about 3.1-3.2dB, plain and simple. If you're losing 6-7dB in a splitter, throw it away! A distribution network, as I said earlier, is an entirely different animal and not what I thought we were discussing.

And the cable company is not going to squirt just enough power to your house to cover one splitter... if that's what you're measuring, the lineman screwed up.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Here are spec's on one...

Product Description

Size: 2-Way
    The Cable Matters Gold Plated Coaxial Splitter splits a single incoming coaxial signal from cable television (CATV), VCR, satellite receiver, cable box, or antenna into multiple outgoing signals. Gold plating ensures a corrosion free connection. Convenient and cost effective 2-pack coaxial splitters can be used on different devices.

Specifications
    - Input: 1x Coaxial Female
    - Output: 2x Coaxial Female
    - Frequency: 2.4 GHz
    - Supports DC Pass Through
    - Plating: gold plated
    - Insertion Loss: 5-1000 MHz: ≤ 5.5 dB; 1000-1750 Mhz: ≤ 6 dB; 1750-2450 Mhz: ≤ 7 dB
    - Isolation Loss: 5-1000 MHz: ≥ 17 dB; 1000-1750 Mhz: ≥ 17 dB; 1750-2450 Mhz: ≥ 16 dB
    - Return Loss: ≥ 8 dB

I don't design 'em, but I've had to solve many a problem for folks who haven't a clue how to use them properly.

You guys are making my head spin.

I think what would be best would be to split the cable as close as I can to the modem and have a longer run to the TV?

What's a line tap look like and how can I tell the difference between it and a splitter?

Should I use the quad shield RG6?

If I split the cable what type/brand of connectors should I use?
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Don't worry about it.
    I have 2 splitters. The first goes to the modem and the second splitter. The second splitter goes to both TVs.
    Nothing special about any of it. I asked the cable installer to leave 2 sections of cable. 20 and 30 feet long. He put connectors on them for me.
    Too many people like to show off their technical wizardry, but all it does is complicate things. K.I.S.S. works just fine.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Duane Meadows View Post
    Here are spec's on one...

Product Description

Size: 2-Way

The Cable Matters Gold Plated Coaxial Splitter splits a single incoming coaxial signal from cable television (CATV), VCR, satellite receiver, cable box, or antenna into multiple outgoing signals. Gold plating ensures a corrosion free connection. Convenient and cost effective 2-pack coaxial splitters can be used on different devices.

Specifications
    - Input: 1x Coaxial Female
    - Output: 2x Coaxial Female
    - Frequency: 2.4 GHz
    - Supports DC Pass Through
    - Plating: gold plated
    - Insertion Loss: 5-1000 MHz: ≤ 5.5 dB; 1000-1750 Mhz: ≤ 6 dB; 1750-2450 Mhz: ≤ 7 dB
    - Isolation Loss: 5-1000 MHz: ≥ 17 dB; 1000-1750 Mhz: ≥ 17 dB; 1750-2450 Mhz: ≥ 16 dB
    - Return Loss: ≥ 8 dB

I don't design 'em, but I've had to solve many a problem for folks who haven't a clue how to use them properly.

And here's a better one (a 3-way)...
    http://www.amazon.com/Extreme-Unbala.../dp/B009FMHHX2

3.5dB drop on one leg, 7dB drop on the other two. It's essentially a couple of two-ways in series, hence the doubling of amplitude drop on the second pair. But I would never be happy with a two-way that handed me a 5+ dB drop at each leg.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    And here's a better one (a 3-way)...
    http://www.amazon.com/Extreme-Unbala.../dp/B009FMHHX2

3.5dB drop on one leg, 7dB drop on the other two. It's essentially a couple of two-ways in series, hence the doubling of amplitude drop on the second pair. But I would never be happy with a two-way that handed me a 5+ dB drop at each leg.
    Yeh, it's better on one output, bit worse +- on the other 2. WOW I am impressed! Not! There is also the issue of isolation between taps, but not going there, at least in depth. Oh, and yes I am aware of those and many others.

The point is and remains the 5-7 db thing is quite common. In most installation the difference won't be noticed. But, if your signal is borderline to begin with(and in 40 years as a tv technician many, many are) it may cause issues, especially when going through a couple of them(splitters). It is quite a bit better with a lot of fiber optic lines, than it used to be.

Jerry, line taps are for larger distribution systems such as a retail store. There they run a main trunk line at high level and use line taps to drop the level to individual sets. The line taps look pretty much identical to a normal splitter... really need to read whats written on them to tell the difference.

Quad shield probably over kill unless you are in a high rf location(such as a CB or Ham operator, or radio/TV station or such, next door.

Most any connector properly installed should do the job indoors, outdoors needs to be water proof!

RG6 coax cable is what you want.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...