Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GFCI outlet keeps tripping with nothing plugged in it

GFCI outlet keeps tripping with nothing plugged in it

Got a GFCI outlet in the bathroom that has tripped 6 times today and tonight . The thing is, there is nothing plugged in the outlet. What could be causing it ?

Typically there are other outlets on the same circuit with the GFCI outlet. The problem device could be plugged into one of those other receptacles.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    Typically there are other outlets on the same circuit with the GFCI outlet. The problem device could be plugged into one of those other receptacles.
    Precisely. You need to look "down-stream" of the devise. Look around the house for things not working that are plugged in. You might even find the devises down-stream are outside.

Same thing happened to me and what I found is that the outlet on our back porch is tied to the GFCI in our garage. No idea why they did that since the garage is on the front of the house.. oh, well.

The cover was open on the outside receptacle and there was moisture inside. Once I pulled the receptacle out, verified nothing else was wrong, then I used my air tank and blew through the receptacle. That was about 4 months ago and still working just fine. Oh, and I closed the cover this time so no rain could blow in.
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

Or you may just have a bad GFCI outlet like I had. Mine was only a year old and it kept tripping several times a week then even more. I replaced it (very easy to do) and no problems since.

Red
    RED

Pressed the reset button on the GFCI outlet this Morning. This time , I made sure everything in the house was not turned on . The only things that had any juice flowing to them besides the GFCI in the Bathroom, was the Microwave in the Kitchen, the clock radio in the Kitchen and the one in the bedroom. But, they were all turned off. Only power flowing to them was running the clocks.

It still popped. It was installed 1998-1999.

This just occurred to me. The Electric substation down the road from me is Maxed out for carrying capacity. When ever there is a storm, that pops something in the substation and the power goes out for about half the Town. That pops the GFCI , too. Could all those power outtages have worn that GFCI out ?

If its that old just replace it and see if the problem goes away.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarence Martin View Post
    Pressed the reset button on the GFCI outlet this Morning. This time , I made sure everything in the house was not turned on . The only things that had any juice flowing to them besides the GFCI in the Bathroom, was the Microwave in the Kitchen, the clock radio in the Kitchen and the one in the bedroom. But, they were all turned off. Only power flowing to them was running the clocks.

It still popped. It was installed 1998-1999.
    It could be bad, but first turn off the power to that circuit and pull the GFIC out of the wall. If there are no downstream wires coming off the GFIC, it is bad. If there are downstream wires, disconnect them. Turn the power back on and see if it will stay set. If it does, you have a problem downstream.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Red Bemont View Post
    Or you may just have a bad GFCI outlet like I had. Mine was only a year old and it kept tripping several times a week then even more. I replaced it (very easy to do) and no problems since.

Red
    This has happened to me as well. New switch was bad. I guess you just get lemons once in a while.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Blog Entries
    I found is that the outlet on our back porch is tied to the GFCI in our garage. No idea why they did that since the garage is on the front of the house.. oh, well.

The cover was open on the outside receptacle and there was moisture inside.
    Me thinks that is the exact reason the outlet on the back porch is tied to the GFCI in the garage. When it was done it may have been cheaper to run wire than to install a second GFCI. Outside plugs and garages are both places to have the added safety they offer.

Our two restrooms are across the house from each other. They are both on the same GFCI. Not sure if the outside plug is attached to the same one. Maybe it is time to check.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Clarence Martin View Post
    Pressed the reset button on the GFCI outlet this Morning. This time , I made sure everything in the house was not turned on .
    Based on its age, it very well could be bad but it's important to know that even though everything was turned off, you haven't eliminated those things that are plugged in from the list of potential causes. The problem might also be a different receptacle on the same run.

Blog Entries
    Based on its age, it very well could be bad but it's important to know that even though everything was turned off, you haven't eliminated those things that are plugged in from the list of potential causes. The problem might also be a different receptacle on the same run.
    Nor have you removed the wiring within the walls as the culprit...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I would say thats a likely cause of the problem, remove all plugs on the same circuit and i think, correct me if i am wrong, that a GFCI should be on on its own breaker and nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Wintle View Post
    I would say thats a likely cause of the problem, remove all plugs on the same circuit and i think, correct me if i am wrong, that a GFCI should be on on its own breaker and nothing else.
    A GFCI could be the only thing on a circuit/circuit breaker but more likely it is at the head of a run of outlets like this: