Thread: slot in saw handle for blade

slot in saw handle for blade

DSCN0837.jpg

I do not know how to cut the slot for this blade. The blade extends past the backing. In the previous handle the slit extended into the handle past the little stop where the back terminates. I do not know how to cut that obtuse v into the handle either. Can I just cut the blade?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Noah. There is no reason why you cant reshape the heel of the saw plate. Just make sure it doesn't impact the current handle to saw plate alignment holes.

Good luck.

Stewie;

Blog Entries
    Noah,

Here is an old post showing how my handle was cut:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...Back-Saw-Build

This was done without set on the teeth to make a tight slot.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

thanks Stewie and Jim.

Jim, my problem was figuring how to extend the slot past that little shelf that the backing ends against as the blade extends past the backing. The portion of the plate in the handle is also not straight. I looked at the other backsaw I have and it is the same. They just cut the blade slot past the backing in the handle.

DSCN0845.jpg

The slot on the bottom also is deeper than the blade so I am guessing that the heel end of the blade is not straight as well. If the blade is v shaped you have to choose which angle to end the kerf. Here is a pic to better illustrate. The dark lines represent the actual blade though the angle is exaggerated for effect. The dotted lines are the choice for ending the slot.

DSCN0846.jpg

both the saws are English and I looked at some on ebay and all the English backsaws I viewed have the blade extend into the handle past the backing so I guess i'll keep that rather than cut the blade though I do not like the look.

Do you like the Grammercy pattern dovetail handle? I got the template but I thought I must have printed it in the wrong scale because it was so small. I wonder if they have changed as the handle you made did not look so tiny.

thanks again.

Blog Entries
    Jim, my problem was figuring how to extend the slot past that little shelf that the backing ends against as the blade extends past the backing.
    Sorry, my misunderstanding the topic.

I wonder if they have changed as the handle you made did not look so tiny.
    Before making the handle for the saw, a prototype was made to the drawing. Then the drawing was changed where things were too tiny for my hand.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)