Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hydraulic lift table

Hydraulic lift table

Hi,

Am thinking about getting a small scissor lift hydraulic table for the shop. Building a blanket chest.

Will likely modify @ some point-customize top with plywood, anchors for straps maybe, etc.

Existing thread here from a couple of years ago about HF table going down overnight.

I really don't need anything professional use, but am willing to spend a little more to not have to brace it up @ night.....

Any thoughts?
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

I have the big motorcycle lift from Harbor Freight. Built a plywood top, using T track along 2 edges. The lift has a steel rod you put through holes to keep the table from leaking down. 2 positions. I like mine, if you want to spend more, help yourself.

I own four hydraulic tables. Three of them (130 pound) will leak down overnight, the forth (700 pound) never has had the problem over a five year period. I cut some plywood stops for the three tables that leak, they hold the table at the appropriate height. One of these tables I use for my midi size wood lathe. The other two are used occasionally so its not much of an issue that they tend to leak down overnight and I can install the plywood stops when its a concern.

A recent Shop Notes or Woodsmith article dealt with this very subject. They used a lift from Grizzly, and added a top with holes for clamping and downdraft use, and a vise on one end. See if you can get your hands on the issue or plans.

Most of the ones available will be from China or Taiwan, so you just pick your poison, based on the service and support of the seller. Given your needs, I'd go with a lift cart, not a m/c lift. The m/c lifts are much larger, and not very mobile.

As far as bracing it goes, on a cart like this one, you could simply drill a hole or two into the side of the moving arm track and slip in a pin to keep it from moving if the jack leaks down. No bracing required.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

I recently purchased the crank type from Amazon. No worry about creep or leaking. I am able to lift and move Powermatic lathe with ease, and it is a handy extra work surface.

Remember - You get what you pay for, and when you're moving heavy stuff around what is your safety worth? I bought this table from Grainger several years ago for ~$600. and never regretted spending the extra money for a quality unit. It's rated for 1000 lbs, and while I don't normally lift, and roll around, that much weight it gives me some safety margin.

http://www.grainger.com/product/DAYT...chQuery=6w803j

Grizzly has one thats rated around 600 lbs. When I saw it, it was on sale for $249.

John

I have the 500b rated model from Harbor freight, and so far, knock on wood, it's been fine. It sits in an unheated garage so it sees the temp swings through winter.
    I bought it to install a 350# wall oven, and a 173# freezer. I didn't want to spend a lot for a one time, or limited use item, but it's surprised me.

If you were a professional, I would advise maybe something a little more robust, but if you're a DIY'r like me. The HF will be fine.

Now if you should ever need a lift for a car though, the name is Bendpak.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilkins View Post
    A recent Shop Notes or Woodsmith article dealt with this very subject. They used a lift from Grizzly, and added a top with holes for clamping and downdraft use, and a vise on one end. See if you can get your hands on the issue or plans.
    Yes, I found that issue this AM in the water closet.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    I own four hydraulic tables. Three of them (130 pound) will leak down overnight, the forth (700 pound) never has had the problem over a five year period. I cut some plywood stops for the three tables that leak, they hold the table at the appropriate height. One of these tables I use for my midi size wood lathe. The other two are used occasionally so its not much of an issue that they tend to leak down overnight and I can install the plywood stops when its a concern.
    Thanks Keith, As long as I know that pretty much everyone has to deal with loss of height, I'm OK with it.

While reading last night, I found a 20% HF coupon-valid till August. Guess I'll motor down there when motivated and just pick one up--cheapo.

I had looked @ that NT one.......and probably would have got it, cause it's a lot closer, but the HF one will be worth the time and haul to get it--as long as they have it there.

Amazon is my default shopping, but I worry about freight.....I just looked, the cheapest there right now is about $250. HF with coupon should be around $150. Hey-$100 is $100.
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

where I worked they had 4 HF units and 2 other that cost them a lot more than the HF ones 2 HF would bleed down and 1 of the others also did so you never know.

My Dayton Grainger unit has never leaked down, even with hundreds of pounds of weight sitting on it for weeks at a time.
    I can unload things like a metal shaper, hit & miss engine, etc. out of the back of my van at level height and roll it into my shop where I can use it as a work table at whatever height is convenient, - or set it at bench height and slide the the load off on my bench.
    I also used it to get a heavy machine off a bench back in a back room of a shop. Rolled the lift table onto my utility trailer at home, then off at the shop where the machine was located. Then into the back of that shop where the machine came right off the bench level onto the lift table.
    None of that bending & heavy lifting, or working on my knees on the item in the shop.
    If you don't buy a good one, you'll likely spend the rest of the time you own it making excuses for how it works.

What are you using it for? Moving stuff around the shop? A tool stand? Or a workbench?

The leak down is annoying a bit. Mine is 5-6 years old now and has been moved a few times. It has a leak in it but I'm too lazy to pull it apart and replace seals. When it stops working all together I'll replace it. Something to think about though, if you are using it as a work bench the leak down is not a big deal. Once you put a large top on it, it (the top) will wobble a bit depending on what you are doing. It's leverage. There may be a high dollar table that doesn't do this, but most I've seen so. So you're going to want some bracing anyway. I added legs with peg holes in them for different heights. I need to make some spacers for them but it's been this way for years and I've never really needed it to go higher. Once I have it where I want it, I take the pressure off the jack and let the weight of the top sit on the pegs. It's VERY stable and solid.

IMG_4867.jpg

I wound up going over to Buford Saturday AM, and picking up theirs. Was $233. HF would been ~$170, and a haul down to Atlanta, plus they were out of them.

The set up consisted of putting the handle on, and it worked fine. Love it.

I sat on it, so we know it holds 250lb.

Not sure about building the fancy top on it. Will likely just drill some holes in the side for eye bolts to tie off niece's chest when moving around the shop.

I loathe spending that $ on something that will likely be used for just one item-but now, I have it......another tool
    David

Wait six weeks and then get back to us and let us know how often you use the new hydraulic table