Thread: Cleaning up an old Disston Rip Saw

Blog Entries

Cleaning up an old Disston Rip Saw

Recently we divided up the property left at my mother's house and I took a rip saw that belonged to by Grandfather. I started cleaning it up with some scotch brite and noted there was some writing etched on the blade. It has the Henry Disston & Sons logo and it says: "For Beauty, Finish and ????? This saw cannot be Equaled" When I saw this I quit cleaning it up.

What is the best way to clean this saw up and bring out the etching on the blade?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

There are many ways. Do you have any pictures of the saw? Is it merely surface rust, or is there pitting?

If it's rare, I would be cautious. If not, I wouldn't worry about the etching. If it's rare I would start with something like citric acid or simple green.
    Blood, sweat, and sawdust

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    Thanks,

The saw has this logo on it.
    d8etch4.jpg
    So that would make it from the early 1910's to 1928 as it has the number 8 inside the letter D.

Here are a couple of photos. The rust is mostly surface rust, but there is some darkening of the steel and slight pitting.

IMG_0302.jpg
    IMG_0304-small.jpg

My Grandfather was a union carpenter for many years in addition to being an Engineer on the Erie Railroad and a blacksmith.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 04-24-2015 at 11:25 AM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Very nice saw. I have one almost identical that had already been cleaned up. The etching isn't as prominent, but it's an excellent saw. I think yours will be worth more if you take your time.
    Blood, sweat, and sawdust

I have some saws that look similar what would I use to clean them up? I have Scotchbrite.

Don't use anything flexible to scour on the logo/etching. Us either a flat stone with lubricant or a hard sanding block and sand paper. I use a lube with the paper too so the rust powder doesn't clog the grit. Be ready to stop scouring (always parallel to the tooth edge) if you see the logo getting at all fainter. Better to leave some oxidation than to to erase the logo.

Jim (who has around 30 Disstons and can't resist a bargain saw)

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Thanks,

The saw has this logo on it.
    d8etch4.jpg
    So that would make it from the early 1910's to 1928 as it has the number 8 inside the letter D.

Here are a couple of photos. The rust is mostly surface rust, but there is some darkening of the steel and slight pitting.

IMG_0302.jpg
    IMG_0304-small.jpg

My Grandfather was a union carpenter for many years in addition to being an Engineer on the Erie Railroad and a blacksmith.
    http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/d8page.html