Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turning a pitcher - How do I fit the handle

Turning a pitcher - How do I fit the handle

I just got a request for bowls and pitchers - symbolic so any size is ok.

I can picture the pitcher as a flared form with a slant on the top. I can't figure out how to manage the attachment of the handle to the body of the pitcher.

Any ideas?
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I recently watched a you-tube of someone making a handled drinking mug. Leave the walls a bit thick and cut shallow mortices for tenons on the handle. Maybe 1\8" deep.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Thank you, Thom.

I also saw a photo of a pitcher with no handle. A slanted to took care of the "spout" and the narrow part of the vessel was wrapped with rope or twine.

I have seen spouts that were carved, and some that were steam bent. the carving is done similar to carving a wavy top, just with only one wave.

I remember one turned by John Keeton out of burl with natural edge and a copper handle. Always was going try one but never have. There must be a picture somewhere.

Here's a first try at a shape. I think the bottom should be a lot fatter and the spout a bit shorter. I think it might work to wrap with rope or sisal instead of a handle. I could also shape the top more. Please share opinions.
    Attached Images Attached Images

you could make 5 or 6 more, tie them together, have a shell ??/ similar to what is found around pilings and bridges when the tide goes out.......muscles ?????

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    Here's a first try at a shape. I think the bottom should be a lot fatter and the spout a bit shorter. I think it might work to wrap with rope or sisal instead of a handle. I could also shape the top more. Please share opinions.
    I would agree on fatter and shorter spout. I do like the angled spout - much easier than what I was thinking. How about some beads to hold the rope or sisal in place and a turned and drilled handle held in place by the rope. As a scout leader we used to teach the boys to back braid a rope either to make an end that would not unravel or to make an eye in the end. Put the rope through a turned handle and braid eyes in both ends around the pitcher or simply wrap the ends with some heavy waxed cord to make the eyes. I would wrap the braids too.

Thom, good idea on the rope. I used knotted rope to hold on the handles on mugs for Renaissance Faire.

I shortened the top and rounded off the bottom. It's closer to what I want. I was also thinking that instead of having a smooth joint to attach the handle, maybe I could use a contrasting color peg that sticks out 1/4".

Critique Appreciated

I have been working on the pitcher shape. The earliest is on the left, most recent on the right.

I would appreciate your ideas and critique.

Thanks, friends.

Blog Entries
    I prefer the form of the large pitcher on the right. The rope is a nice touch. Good job.

My favorite is the second from the left. I love the shape of the spout, but would appreciate a larger bowl perhaps. The size of the last one looks better however, although that is hard to tell with nothing else to compare. The form IS better though.

Personally, I prefer a much more prominent bowl to the pitcher. Attached are a couple I have done if that helps any at all.

John how did you attach those handles?

Brian, thanks for putting this in my head....lol. Now I have to try this as well. I really like the rope or sisal you used, very nice. John, what can I say, just beautiful. I don't think you could put a price on those. I too, would love to know how the handle was created (steamed?) and attached.

I am reminded how little talent I have when I see others work. It's not a bad thing though, it drives me to get better every day. All I need is for my darn lathe to get in and get delivered.