Thread: DJ 20 help

DJ 20 help

My shop is at my cabin in rural northern Wisconsin. I got here yesterday to start on building a dresser. I was dimensioning QSWO. First I lay a 7" board on the flat side and then turn it on edge to get adjoining sides at 90 degrees. I had the second board on the flat and felt a "bumping" through the board. I slowed the feed and it was ok for a few inches and then stopped. At the time I was taking probably a 1/16th off. I reste the cut to 1/32 and continued. When I turned the board and started the edge my DJ20 stopped.
    I checked the breaker, threw it off then on several times. Hit the on/off button several times but the jointer would not start up again. I could smell an "electric" smell. Not real strong but it was there.
    I use as helix head and new edges were turned not too long ago and they worked fine.
    It still won't start. Any ideas on what to do?????

You might test both of the capacitors. You can get a cheap tester of EB@Y or take it into an electrical shop and they should be able to test if for you. Just went through a similar situation with my table saw.
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

Prince Edward Island, Canada's Ocean Playground
    I would make sure that your belt is tight as well and in good condition.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Erik

Canada's Atlantic Paradise - Prince Edward Island

My switch broke on my DJ20. I pulled it apart and glued the broken pc back on and replaced it. Earlier it has given me problems too. But both times the machine wouldn't start it was the switch.

The belt is new. I checked the switch and it is ok. I pulled the motor. Monday I'll take it to a repair shop. It is 1.5 hp. I wonder if 3 hp would work better??

I don't think you will see any improvement with a 3 hp motor. The 1.5 has enough power and the machine isn't designed to remove so much stock as to need 3 hp. 2 wouldn't hurt but wouldn't change much. Dave

I have a 3hp in my rockwell 8" but only because the motor shop didn't have any 2hp and it was the same price.... Never bogged it down yet.
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

I was just checking the cost of a new motor. Would you believe $480??? And not a Baldor but another Asian piece of junk. I only paid $1,100 for the whole jointer new in 2007.

Prince Edward Island, Canada's Ocean Playground
    Joe,

You can get a surplus 3 phase 3 HP motor for less than $100 and a Huanyang vector drive VFD for about the same, and you will be good to go.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Erik

Canada's Atlantic Paradise - Prince Edward Island