Thread: Pipe Legs for Walnut Slab Coffee Table?

Pipe Legs for Walnut Slab Coffee Table?

I can't decide on the legs for a 53" long by 22" live edge walnut slab coffee table. I havent even decided if I'm going to keep it or sell it.

That said, what are all your thoughts on gas line pipe for legs? Like the photo below? Kinda the easy way I out I guess. I was also thinking about doing something like the 2nd pic with 3/4" oak or something like that, maybe paint it black to make the top stand out.

00202_lkSVlzI0p93_600x450.jpg

Walnut-Trestle-Base-8.jpg

I don't care for the black iron pipe. To me, it looks like something you'd see in a high school gymnasium.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Iron pipe on furniture looks to me like industrial-chic. That's the look in your first photo. If that's what your home looks like, pipe will be fine. But if your home is more mainstream, pipe looks too much DIY.

Steel square tubing and rectangular rod work great for the legs of coffee tables for more contemporarily furnished dwellings. The former is great for cutting and then MIG welding. The latter for carefully controlled bending using spot heating ... typically Oxy Acetylene ... or even cold bending. To my eye, typically the best aesthetic structures leverage larger dimensioned stock. So for instance, 1-1/2" or 2" (or more) for square tubing, and 1-1/4" by 1/2" minimum for bar stock. The latter comes in about 2-1/4 pounds per foot ... so plan accordingly. Cold rolled is typically preferred (may be all that is available) since it is easier to drill.

Not a fan of the black pipe, but a lot of people like that look.
    I much prefer the Trestle style.