Thread: Shimming a riving knife...

Shimming a riving knife...

So...since I haven't posted a dumb question here in at least a few days, I thought it might be time.

I have a Grizzly G0661 table saw. My riving knife is out of line. I think the last time I removed it I lost a shim or two. Any ideas on what I could use to shim it???
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

Depends on how much you need to move it, but pop cans, and tin foil are my go to shims.
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

I bought this at my favorite store. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00065...b7L&ref=plSrch

I quit using pop cans because as the ironer tooling on the can making press wears, the thickness changes. Since a typical can line has 6-10 ironing presses, you can have quite a bit of thickness variation in a case or even a 6 pack of cans. And since I tend to be a neanderthal, (not hand tool user, more like a monkey fist) I can never seem to keep the dang foil flat.

Just about anything that will stay in place and fill the space.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I'd go to Harbor freight and buy a set of feeler gauges and get the exeact size you need. When you find the one you need, throw a tad jbweld to it and boom never loose it again. (make sure it's right though)

Go to your local hobby shop, usually a decent hobby shop has a K&S Metals display... K&S has brass sheet shim stock in all kinds of thicknesses from .001 up

If you remove the riving knife frequently, you might want to use some kind of tape as the shim.