Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Mortise

First Mortise

Well, I decided to quit being a wimp and become a proper woodworker. Just finished these two mortises. With your inspiration, tips, and links, I made a mallet and bought a mortise chisel. After a few ugly trial runs on scrap, I got after it on a future table leg. Must say, it was fun...all 30 minutes each . Two down, six more to go. Maybe after another 30 or 40, they'll look like what I see in your posts.
    Mortise.JPG

Nicely done, Phil. NIcely indeed.

Can't see any problems there.......I like the bit where the first step was to make your own mallet. Keep chopping, and thanks for the post.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

You're rolling now. Don't never stop.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Well, I decided to quit being a wimp and become a proper woodworker. Just finished these two mortises. With your inspiration, tips, and links, I made a mallet and bought a mortise chisel. After a few ugly trial runs on scrap, I got after it on a future table leg. Must say, it was fun...all 30 minutes each . Two down, six more to go. Maybe after another 30 or 40, they'll look like what I see in your posts.
    Mortise.JPG
    Phil,

While I can not say it is fun, I will say chopping mortises is one of the most enjoyable tasks we as wood workers do. Once into the process it becomes a Zen thing and can go very quickly.

BTW, love your chisel. A good pig sticker makes a difference.

ken

Blog Entries
    Nicely done! I couldn't tell it was your first.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Blog Entries
    Looks better than some of mine and they aren't my firsts.

Do your mortises intersect?

Roy Underhill recently did a pair of intersecting mortises and didn't cut the first one to full depth. The second one would make a mess of the side of the first one when it was breaking through if the first one was cut full depth. The ends of the tenons were mitered.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Well done, and nice choice with the pig sticker too.

Thanks for the complements. I did go a bit deep and break through. Need to work on my depth...the tape on the back of the chisel just isn't working for me...maybe something better than painter's tape.
    Not sure if I'll just leave the small openings, or clean it completely out and try mortising the tenons. Hopefully the next set will go better.

Regarding the chisel, I justified that investment by making my own mallet
    Don't have experience using anything else, but the chisel was worth every penny. Flattened the back (didn't need much), and touched up the secondary bevel. Works like a charm (but easy to go too deep!).

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Thanks for the complements. I did go a bit deep and break through. Need to work on my depth...the tape on the back of the chisel just isn't working for me...maybe something better than painter's tape.
    Not sure if I'll just leave the small openings, or clean it completely out and try mortising the tenons. Hopefully the next set will go better.

Regarding the chisel, I justified that investment by making my own mallet
    Don't have experience using anything else, but the chisel was worth every penny. Flattened the back (didn't need much), and touched up the secondary bevel. Works like a charm (but easy to go too deep!).
    Phil,

On mortise chisels I find a black marker works better than "blue" tape. Doesn't get pushed up but will wear off and need an occasional re-marking.

ken

I too use a sharpie for the depth gauge when chopping a mortise. Yours look great. I haven't done an intersecting mortise yet.

Well done. Now you know that there is not a trigger lurking in there that is going to blow up the works if you make one bad strike with your mallet. I would like to see your mallet also. If your mortise work is that good the mallet should be worth showing too.
    Jim

Nice work

Nice job! I'm about to try making my first mortise, as well. I also recently finished my first mallet. The mortise will be for my second mallet. Instead of laminating pieces together with the angle already cut for the handle's mortise, I plan to try chopping this one by hand. It'll be work, for sure, as it's over 3" deep.

I would seriuosly consider using a brace to remove most of the waste for a mortise that deep.

Thanks all again. Great suggestions, and yes, James, it did prove to be less nerve wracking than I anticipated.
    Regarding the mallet, I did start a new thread..."A mallet in spite of myself"...thought it might give others a chuckle.