Thread: Traditional futuristic handmade jack plane

Traditional futuristic handmade jack plane

Hi neanderhals. Havent visited the forum for a long time.
    Here is my latest plane made from oak firewood.
    It has beech sole and wedge and the handle is from pine. The inspiration of the design came from blum planes. At the moment i am working on a front handle.

IMG_7925.JPGIMG_8863.JPGIMG_8864.JPGIMG_8867.JPGIMG_8868.JPGIMG_8882.JPGIMG_8887.JPG

IMG_8878.JPG
    For a jack plane it has a thin mouth and it works like a smoothing plane. I was thinking to widen the mouth, but i have another jack with bigger mouth so i will keep it like this atm.

IMG_8872.JPGIMG_8875.JPG
    It gives pretty good tick shavings, i dont know how good it is compared to smoother planes.

.IMG_8892.jpg

For zero cost, i cant complain at all .

Thanks for looking
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mark Almeidus; 04-25-2015 at 9:00 AM.

Hi Mark. Lovely work. I especially like the way you shaped the rear tote.

Stewie

Blog Entries
    Hi Mark, as before, I really like the simple organic nature of your planes, and it looks like they work quite well too. have you got to use them on a project of some sort yet?

Thanks guys.
    Yes i use them for small projects so far, like small 3 or 4 leg chairs and tables. In previous posts you can find some pictures of what i have done. Also i made that green table where the planes are, it was my first time i do mortise and it looks so bad but the wood is pine and it was cracking like hell. My next project will be the piece of wood you see in the background, it will be a true test for the planes, but i am lacking ideas for the legs, maybe it will be to big legs joined with pegs.
    IMG_7935.JPG
    Anyways, this pieces of firewood will be transfered into planes one day. If anyone is interested, maybe i can make one for you?