Thread: Walnut island

Walnut island

Several months ago I re coated my kitchen island with Waterlox original. This went on three coats of Waterlox satin applied 7 years earlier. The finish appears to be soft and nothing will slide across the surface. I have used Waterlox many times, but this is awful.
    Any diagnosis? Also, do I sand it off and start over or use a citrus remover?

I would guess that your Waterlox was old or there was something on the counter top that caused the problem. First guess would be old Waterlox.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    I would guess that your Waterlox was old or there was something on the counter top that caused the problem. First guess would be old Waterlox.

John
    A 6 month old can that had never been opened. Before applying the Waterlox I wiped the entire island with mineral spirits

Quote Originally Posted by charlie spencer View Post
    A 6 month old can that had never been opened. Before applying the Waterlox I wiped the entire island with mineral spirits
    And - how long did you wait after the MS wipe before you applied the Wlox?

What type of MS did you use - BORG or corner hardware variety, or honest-to-God 100% from, say, Sherwin-Williams?

We had a thread here, some months ago, and the likely culprit was traced back to the MS wipe......Not all MS is created equal, and you need to put some gone between the MS wipe and the varnish application.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    And - how long did you wait after the MS wipe before you applied the Wlox?

What type of MS did you use - BORG or corner hardware variety, or honest-to-God 100% from, say, Sherwin-Williams?

We had a thread here, some months ago, and the likely culprit was traced back to the MS wipe......Not all MS is created equal, and you need to put some gone between the MS wipe and the varnish application.
    I think the time after wiping was about 30 minutes because I had to tape up around the island. The MS was a high quality low odor type that I have used many times. Of, course Waterlox is about 50% mineral spirits.