Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help needed: How to attach a padded seat to a dining chair

Help needed: How to attach a padded seat to a dining chair

Hi all,

I need your help. I made my first-ever dining chair based on an article in Fine Woodworking. I also made a padded seat based on another article also in Fine Woodworking. Now, these two separate articles didn't show how to attached the padded seat to the chair....

The chair has 5/16 rabbet around the front and side rails so that the seat can snugly fit. Between the sides and the back rail, there are small "bridges", on which the seat can ride. So, the seat can sit on the chair. That's good, but I guess I somehow need to secure the seat.

The only way I can think of is, I can drill a hole in the bridges and screw down the seat from the bottom. However, the core of the padded seat is just 1/4 inch. Also, in this way, the screws are pointing toward the human being sitting on it. In addition, I'm not sure if two screws are enough.

I would appreciate any suggestions.
    Attached Images Attached Images

All of our chairs have machine thread screws goibg through corner bridges on the chair into threaded inserts in the 1/4" seat pad bases.
    Jerry

"It is better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation" - Herman Melville

Thanks Jerry,

So, then, I guess I needed to prepare the seat base before I padded it?
    Also, securing the seat to the two bridges is enough? Do you suggest to add two more bridges in the front?

yes 4 bridges and you could use thread inserts on the one you have.

Oh, thread insert. I see, that makes sense.

Thanks! I'll try it.

Just for confirmation;

> I'll add two more bridges.
    > Drill a hole in each bridge.
    > Place the seat and mark the locations of the holes.
    > Screw in the thread inserts to the base.
    > Secure the seat to the bridges.

Does it sound right?

For 1/4" base, I would use blind threads.
    1/4" isn't going to hold much weight across the whole of the seat.
    BHGBN3.JPG
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Hi Myk,

Because my seat is already padded, it is too late to install these?

I would not get too carried away on this. Gravity and humans are going to encourage the seat to stay right where it is. I just fired four screws - I used SS for longevity, in the event that some day, the seats will be removed for re-upholstering.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

When I built our dining room chairs... cut 1/2" plywood to properly fit and had them upholstered... they just sit in the frame of the chair... no need to fasten them...

I think you are over-thinking the problem. As I see it - and I re-upholstered our DR chairs - the only reason for fastening the seat to the chair frame is to prevent the seat from moving when the chair is moved. A person sitting in the seat is going to hold it in just fine.

You say you have a 1/4" base to the seat. How think are the bridges in the corners? They are almost certainly 1/4" or thicker - maybe 3/8ths or something like that - they provide some of the support for the seat.

On my DR chairs the corner bridges were just about that: 3/8" thick. I drilled through the existing holes in the bridges and to provide a pilot hole in the seat base, and used 1/2" screws - #4 as I recall - to hold the seats to the chair. They have been in use for more than a decade and we've never had a problem.

Now I must admit that your chairs may be different. Mine had a ledge around the space where the seat fits in, so that the seat wasn't completely supported by the bridges. If yours are different you may need to do something else.

The only reason I didn't glue the seats into the frame is that I anticipated having to re-upholster the seats in the future. It hasn't happened yet, but you never know. SWMBO is showing signs of wanting to redecorate...
    >>> Je Suis Charlie <<<

I would use a heavy duty double stick carpet tape and stick to the rear bridges. Place the seat on it and you are done. If in the future you need to reupholster just pull up the seat from the tape.

Or just use velcro.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

To the best of my knowledge, 18th century chairs did not have anything holding the slip seat in place. Ergo the name: slip seat. It slips into place. There is a rabbet around the front and sides that supports the frame of the upholstered seat. That is all there is. Don't overthink this.
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Now WHY didn't I think of that?????
    >>> Je Suis Charlie <<<

Your post made me curious how our factory-made dining chairs are assembled. Here's a couple pics. There are decorative angle brackets screwed to the frame and seat bottom.

20150506_170403.jpg 20150506_170309.jpg
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher