Thread: 3M PPS Question

3M PPS Question

I've been using the PPS for several years with great success. I'm wondering if anyone regularly saves finish in the cup with a plug inserted to reuse at a later date? Doesn't the finish congeal in the lid screen? How do you mix it up before spraying? I spray nitrocellulose lacquer, shellac and polyurethane, and lately I've been doing touch-ups and smaller jobs, and I use a fresh cup and lid every time because I can't risk spraying bad finish. But the cost is adding up. Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Ken

I use PPS, too. I clean and reuse my cups and lids. They seem to last for a long time. I keep a set each for WB finishes, shellac and nitro, get at least 20 uses from a set before needing replacement.

I tear the screen out of the lid after first use. Use cone filters when filling the cup.

And because the finish in the cup is not exposed to air, I almost always pour any excess back into the can rather than trying to plug the cup. But, I've seen auto body guys simply squeeze the excess air out of a cup and then plug it. Seems to keep for weeks.

Obviously, I don't pour back for catalyzed finishes. Even so, the cups and lids can be cleaned and reused. The lids I clean when I clean the gun. For the cups, I pour off the excess into a waste can and then let the remainder cure in the cup. The cured bit pops out or flakes off quite readily by the next day.

Perfect!!! Thank you for all those ideas. You've saved me a bundle. Now the only problem I have is my large cups seem to stick inside the pot so I end up ruining them trying to pry them out. I've tried cleaning the pot with lacquer thinner, I tried dusting baby powder in there but they always stick. Have you had that problem?

Ken,

I've never had that problem. Makes me think you're getting finish in between the liner and the cup somehow.

I used to. I'd squeeze the bottle down until a small bit of finish came out--no big deal if using waterborne finishes since it rinses right off. I kept a few Target and General Finishes products that way for a few months with success. I did find they liked to tip over but saved sour cream or cottage cheese containers from the kitchen held them nicely.