Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do I need more planes?

Quote Originally Posted by John Sanford View Post
    As is so often my wont, I'm going to chime in with a suggestion off the beaten path.

Side rabbet plane. That link is to the Veritas model, Woodriver and Lie-Nielsen also make them.

I picked one up years ago, had almost no use for it, and then... boom! It is THE handy dandy tool for widening a groove/dado just a smidge. It's one of those tools that is so focused and exquisitely excellent at it's task. If you do a lot of dadoes and grooves, and also rabbets, it is well worth the money. (Woodcraft has the Woodriver on sale currently.)
    I read mixed reviews of the Woodriver planes. Any idea whether the side rabbet would be a worthwhile purchase? The cost is not an issue, just the useability.

Plow plane is starting to look more and more compelling. Though, since I have a router plane, is it more worthwhile to continue using that to clean out dados and such (especially since I already have a dado plane), or will the plow plane simply be more versatile?

I prefer my plow (I use a combination plane) to a router for grooves, and prefer the router for dadoes. I think it makes sense to have both.

I have a side rabbet and use it occasionally, but it would be further down my list of things to buy then a plow.

Blog Entries
    Though, since I have a router plane, is it more worthwhile to continue using that to clean out dados and such (especially since I already have a dado plane), or will the plow plane simply be more versatile?
    A plow plane is for cutting grooves/slots with the grain. My plow planes get regular use. A dado plane cuts across the grain which is why dado planes have knickers. Be careful to not get them in a twist.

Most of the time my dados are stopped on the exposed end. Often they are stopped on both ends. This makes the router plane useful over a dado plane. Most of the time my dados are cut with a chisel or two.

A side rabbet is very useful if you want to trim dados, rabbets and plowed grooves. It is a handy tool to have. It is not a priority tool.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Stevens2 View Post
    I read mixed reviews of the Woodriver planes. Any idea whether the side rabbet would be a worthwhile purchase? The cost is not an issue, just the useability.

Plow plane is starting to look more and more compelling. Though, since I have a router plane, is it more worthwhile to continue using that to clean out dados and such (especially since I already have a dado plane), or will the plow plane simply be more versatile?
    I have no idea on the Woodriver side rabbet. If one is a hybrid or powertool woodworker, then the side rabbet is actually more useful than a plow. It's a lot easier to break out the side rabbet to tweak a router cut dado than it is to fart around with the router. Conversely, if one is focused on handwork, then the plow is likely a higher priority.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Blog Entries
    Any idea whether the side rabbet would be a worthwhile purchase? The cost is not an issue, just the useability.
    Side rabbet planes are a complement to to plow, dado and rabbet planes. If one is creative or imaginative, they can also do a few other task.

There are a few things I do not like about the Woodriver version.

First is the sole (or skate) looks like it is much thicker than others. This would make it unusable in narrow slots.

Second is the depth stop has to be reset when changing from side to side. This could be a real disincentive in some cases.

Third is both blades are held by one screw. This could make set up a hassle.

Someone reviewed it on Lumberjocks. Google > woodriver side rabbet plane < and it should be in the first five. That review would be a fourth reason to look at someone else's.

Mine are the Stanley #98 & 99. The Lie-Nielsen version is based on these.

Stanley also made a #79 that is usually lower price for the two in one variety. I would avoid the Kunz offering.

As John said, if you are using hand tools instead of a router, you will likely need a plow plane before you need side rabbet planes.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

6. Quote Originally Posted by Adam Stevens2 View Post

I have the woodriver side rabbet. It works well without too much fettling out of the box. I found that in order to use it without slicing my hand I needed a "hotdog" handle.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    A plow plane is for cutting grooves/slots with the grain. My plow planes get regular use. A dado plane cuts across the grain which is why dado planes have knickers. Be careful to not get them in a twist.

jtk
    I saw what you did there.

-Tom

Most of the time my dados are stopped on the exposed end. Often they are stopped on both ends. This makes the router plane useful over a dado plane. Most of the time my dados are cut with a chisel or two.

A side rabbet is very useful if you want to trim dados, rabbets and plowed grooves. It is a handy tool to have. It is not a priority tool.

jtk
    I'm not sure I can avoid the bolded...

Aside from the Veritas plow, are there some any reputable sources for either new or used plow planes? I've looked on The Best Things and he seems to have them occasionally, as well as Patrick Leach's mailing list. If there are any more sources I'd be interested to take a look. The wooden plows are very appealing to me, though the Veritas plane is also very much an option (so long as the wife doesn't complain too much about the cost!).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Stevens2 View Post
    I'm not sure I can avoid the bolded...

Aside from the Veritas plow, are there some any reputable sources for either new or used plow planes? I've looked on The Best Things and he seems to have them occasionally, as well as Patrick Leach's mailing list. If there are any more sources I'd be interested to take a look. The wooden plows are very appealing to me, though the Veritas plane is also very much an option (so long as the wife doesn't complain too much about the cost!).
    With my mistake on spelling nickers it seemed like a little levity might be in order.

For me the Stanley 45 works well. They can drive a person nuts if they need much fettling. With mine there have been fences that needed shimming to be parallel to the plane body. One fence needed to be trued to be square to the skates. Various blades have had to have some work on the adjustment notch so they will seat properly. Just a touch of distraction in the life of someone who also enjoys fettling planes.

If you want something that works when it gets to your shop, the Veritas may be a better place to start.

OMG! A quick look on ebay discloses the prices on a Stanley 45 have really jumped since the last one of mine was acquired. Even ones missing parts seem to be priced high.

jtk

You can't get your nickers in a twist unless you're plowing against the grain, right?

Seriously, I watched PaulSellers make a rabbet (rebate in UK) plane using an old chisel he sure made it look simple.

I think you could attach a fence and a couple Xacto knife blades for nickers and make it work.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    You can't get your nickers in a twist unless you're plowing against the grain, right?

Seriously, I watched PaulSellers make a rabbet (rebate in UK) plane using an old chisel he sure made it look simple.

I think you could attach a fence and a couple Xacto knife blades for nickers and make it work.
    There are a lot of things that one can do to get a job done.

One thing about a tool made to do a job is its ability to consistently repeat the same job.

Setting up one of my Stanley 45s to cut a 1/4" slot 3/8" from an edge can be done in a few minutes.

How long does it take to rig up a chisel and a block of wood to do that? What if one wants to move the slot in our out a bit?

jtk

With my mistake on spelling nickers it seemed like a little levity might be in order.

For me the Stanley 45 works well. They can drive a person nuts if they need much fettling. With mine there have been fences that needed shimming to be parallel to the plane body. One fence needed to be trued to be square to the skates. Various blades have had to have some work on the adjustment notch so they will seat properly. Just a touch of distraction in the life of someone who also enjoys fettling planes.

If you want something that works when it gets to your shop, the Veritas may be a better place to start.

OMG! A quick look on ebay discloses the prices on a Stanley 45 have really jumped since the last one of mine was acquired. Even ones missing parts seem to be priced high.

jtk
    Jim,

That was good for a giggle. I picked up my 45 from the "Old Hippie Tool Seller" in Watertown, MA back in the late 70's. It sure is pretty but its life SKH (Since Ken Hatch) has been consigned to its box with only an occasional pull it out and see what it can do. There is usually a tool in the shop that can do whatever job easier, better, and quicker so it tends to be put back in the box for another year or two but it sure is pretty :-).

ken

Short answer, of course you need more planes. Seriously is it a trick question?
    short list of planes I wouldn't do without:

jack plane
    smoother
    jointer
    plow
    moving filister
    large shoulder
    low angle block.
    Router plane

bear in mind I'm mostly a hand tool guy.

if I used power tools a lot I would have:

jack
    smoother
    Block
    shoulder
    router plane

I, personally don't use my block plane much, but I recognize I am in a small minority. When I use it, it is literally the only or best tool for the job.
    the other hand tools can be rendered unnecessary by a jointer, planer, and router (+table.)
    Last edited by paul cottingham; 04-29-2015 at 1:11 PM.
    Paul

You made me look. The only thing that shocked me more then the asking price for a bunch of old boat anchors was the price for a new one from Lee Valley. Am I reading their website right? If you want the full set of cutters you have to buy the conversion kit and the full price is over $400?

At those prices I would definitely stay away from ebay. Try a dealer maybe where you know what you are getting is complete and in good shape.

I guess on the bright side those prices must mean a lot of people are getting interested in hand tools.

Just read the title of this thread not any of the posts.

YES