Thread: I hate to call this a gloat

I hate to call this a gloat

Recently our club lost a dear turner buddy. A year ago he bought a new PM4224 plus tax and shipping. He may have turned 5 bowls, thats all. It was in new mint condition. His beloved wife offered to sell this lathe to me or any club member for $5,000. I just couldn't bring myself to buy it under the circumstances. Neither could any other club members as we all thought it was worth more, for her benefit. She wouldn't take more. However a new club member , with no lathe, did buy it for the $5,000. Her husband told her to offer the lathe to a club member or the club for the $5000, and if no takers, donate it to a charity for a raffle. Our buddy surely was happy, the widow was happy, and our club members were happy, but more importantly we all felt none of our members took advantage under the circumstances. Our conconcience was clean, no feelings of guilt. She wanted $50 for a new Vicmark 120 chuck. I paid $150. It is a feel good thing to be associated with woodturners of this caliber.

That's a good way to handle things. In truth that's going to more and more common as we all get older and have to dispose of our "stuff".

Dave Fritz