Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two Questions: CA yellow glue stain, profile

Two Questions: CA yellow glue stain, profile

1. This is a piece of beetle pine I roughed a couple years ago. At the time, there was a minor check, which I filled with thin CA in the hope of stopping it from opening. That worked, but it left a yellow stain (see first image). I turned as much of it away as possible, but a small part remains and it is distracting. I applied some BLO, the yellowest finish I have in the shop. Would a yellow dye work to disguise the CA stain? Ritz? Trans-tint? Other ideas?

2. When I roughed this, it looked like half a basketball. I really loved the half sphere shape, which followed the growth rings. Turning away the stained crack changed the profile and left a bit of a flat spot. I'm really bad at seeing profiles in the shop, but there is room to turn the bottom under and I think I want to do that. I rotated one image to make it easier to see. Thoughts?

IMG_8961.jpgIMG_8962.jpgIMG_8962-001.jpg
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

2. My opinions - it's a great piece of wood and a good form. I also find a constant curve a little more appealing but if you look at what ceramicists produce there are really all kinds of different curves which have appeal in their long tradition. When we look at each others work we can read intentions back into it but most people can't, so this form has a home even if it isn't going to be your best one.

On the CA coloring - I don't think you're going to get the mark out if you've already oiled it. The wood has the CA locked into it and isn't going to absorb another pigment, if you try to get something on top of it it's going to show. Just my opinion. However, there is so much color and variation in the wood that only another turner would notice.

I think it looks pretty good and my take on production is that rather than trying to get on top of small mistakes after they have happened, try to learn from them. Go find another log just like it and turn something that makes you happy.

There are so many other colors going on that the yellow just blends in IMO. If you had not pointed it out I would of thought it was supposed to be like that.
    Very interesting form btw.

Quote Originally Posted by daryl moses View Post
    There are so many other colors going on that the yellow just blends in IMO. If you had not pointed it out I would of thought it was supposed to be like that.
    Very interesting form btw.
    +1, like Daryl says, it's was designed that way.

"The best things in life are not things."

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to cogitate on the bottom for awhile. As I see it, I can leave it and cut it off straight, or I can reverse the curve and make a sort of ogee, or I can curve it in and make the bowl shorter with a wider, more stable base. I'm a little concerned that adding a curve either way at the bottom will emphasize the flat spot, whereas cutting it straight off will make a "V" that turns into a curve as it rises.

I guess I was thinking I could airbrush some color on the bottom and make the glue stain go away or at least get less noticeable. I may still try something like that.

George, I've never seen another log like this one and I live in an area with a lot of beetle kill. The stains are pretty evenly spaced and look like they belong. I got most of the tree and couldn't process it all in time, which is why it started checking. Anyway, I wouldn't have messed with gluing up checked pine if it wasn't so pretty. I've tried white glue on other pine without much success. I still have a few blanks like this one left, so maybe they'll turn out better.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."

Doug,

I sometimes use some shellac sealer around the crack before I use the CA. This helps prevent the CA from soaking into the surrounding area. Usually I can sand out the shellac fairly easily or take a light cut which will remove it. I'm is SW Colorado and look forward to getting some of the beetle kill this summer. There is a ton of it on Wolf Creek pass.

Greg

Doug, bring it down here to my place, (south of Pueblo) I'll airbrush a bit of charcoal to match the other dark streaks, scuff it just a tad and send ya home! Ya know, I got to say the yellow doesn't bother me at all, like others have posted with all the other colors going on. Heck, I'm a taxidermist, I could hide a bullet hole, but don't shoot it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McClurg View Post
    Doug,

I sometimes use some shellac sealer around the crack before I use the CA. This helps prevent the CA from soaking into the surrounding area. Usually I can sand out the shellac fairly easily or take a light cut which will remove it. I'm is SW Colorado and look forward to getting some of the beetle kill this summer. There is a ton of it on Wolf Creek pass.

Greg
    Greg, good advice. If you're up looking for beetle kill, look for pines other than Ponderosa. Ponderosa is fine, but if you can find one with branches all the way around, like you see on NIP, the patterns are enhanced, I think. This tree came from southwest Iowa and I'm afraid I don't know what it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Huffman View Post
    Doug, bring it down here to my place, (south of Pueblo) I'll airbrush a bit of charcoal to match the other dark streaks, scuff it just a tad and send ya home! Ya know, I got to say the yellow doesn't bother me at all, like others have posted with all the other colors going on. Heck, I'm a taxidermist, I could hide a bullet hole, but don't shoot it though.
    Steve, I may take you up on that, just to meet you, if nothing else. I don't have a lot of experience with an airbrush, so I could use some hands on training. You're welcome up here, too, if you want to try my GO698 while you're waiting on your GO766.

Try keeping a rattle can of sanding sealer and lacquer on the bench for emergencies. They do prevent CA stain--just a shot- not enough to fill the crack so the CA will adhere inside. Really pretty wood and shapes also.

Doug, Not sure when I can break away to head north, but if your not in a hurry, I can head your way pretty soon. My Mother lives just off Hwy 24 and 21st Street, so I should swing by and see her too. I'm also going to be putting new tires on the Chopper at American Motorcycles on E. Filmore St. within the next couple weeks. Drop the bike/trailer off and possibly come see you. I can bring some Aspen and I just scored some Elm (smells like cow manure/but pretty looking wood). I can bring airbrush and tints, do you have a compressor? If not, I have a small portable. If you decide to drive down this way, I have 2 Taxidermy Studio's on Main St. in the small town of Aguilar, just off of I-25 past Walsenburg.

Sorry to say I'm no longer waiting on the GO766 as I bought a new Jet 1642 EVS-2 a couple weeks ago. Just couldn't handle the wait any longer after the second push back date.

If this works time frame works, send me an email and I'll give you my info : steve@huffmantaxidermy.com
    [SIGPIC]http://www.sawmillcreek.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=136853&dateline=14260 43453[/SIGPIC]
    They say "Riding a bike is good excercise", so I bought two of them, Harley Davidson Ultra Classic LTD, Big Dog K-9 Chopper

Doug, from what i understand the majority of the pine on Wolf Creek is Englmann spruce which is supposed to pretty decent to turn...not as much pine tar. I'm surprised you brought pine from Iowa with all of the hardwoods they have. I grew up in IA and keep thinking about making a trip back just to pick up some of the hardwood.

I would love to learn airbrushing. Steve...you'll have to put on a class

Greg

Doug, from what i understand the majority of the pine on Wolf Creek is Englmann spruce which is supposed to pretty decent to turn...not as much pine tar. I'm surprised you brought pine from Iowa with all of the hardwoods they have. I grew up in IA and keep thinking about making a trip back just to pick up some of the hardwood.

Greg
    The Iowa pine is a long story, but I'm glad I got it. I make regular trips back to see my mom and cut wood on the farm. The guy who is farming for mom keeps pushing trees into the ditch to get more farmland, which is his job, but I'm trying to save everything I can. Does spruce get the blue stain like pine?

Greg
    Greg, a class wouldn't be necessary as I could teach the basics in just an than a hour or so and it's just practice after that. Tinting for woodturning is real simple, but if you guys want to learn how to paint turkey heads, fish, or custom motorcycle tank that would take a class! All you need to learn really is how to use a good double action airbrush, how to take it apart for cleaning, and mixing paint or dyes for it. I would be happy to work with you sometime, it's really easy. I'm now using a larger gravity feed touch up gun to spray lacquer finish on my hollow vessels and forms and have to say that's working great for me.

Not sure if we are going to the "Four Corners Biker Rally" or "Ignacio" this year, but if we do, we stay in Durango and I can bring all the gear except air compressor.
    If you get over this way, let me know as I have several ready to go all the time in the taxidermy shop, I'll show you the know hows and you can spray there and practice all day if you want.
    Last edited by Steve Huffman; 04-27-2015 at 9:52 AM.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.sawmillcreek.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=136853&dateline=14260 43453[/SIGPIC]
    They say "Riding a bike is good excercise", so I bought two of them, Harley Davidson Ultra Classic LTD, Big Dog K-9 Chopper

Doug, it is my understanding the spruce has the blue stain. I guess I'm going to find out!

Steve, if you do get over to Durango let me know I'd love to have you show me the basics.

Greg