Thread: My very first carving- a fascinator (ladies' hat)

Blog Entries

My very first carving- a fascinator (ladies' hat)

My wife is going to a charity tea party which has a contest for best hat. I have this set of Chris Pye carving chisels that I bought hoping to experiment with that, so I said I would carve her a hat. Ambitious I guess. I have foiled surfboard fins, and boat stems, but this is my first time to actually carve anything. I took a solid block of mahogany, drew a circle on it, and just started chipping away. I carved it into a square piece to make it easier to clamp, then sawed it out and final shaped it.

The feathers are maple and ebony. I had to hand saw the ebony veneer thick. The maple was already a veneer. I carved contrasting quills and then split them with a tenon saw, and inserted the feather piece. I then chiseled the edges to feather them and in a few places cut "v's" to look authentic.

While le varnishing last night I knocked it off the bench and cracked a piece off. I glued it back, but a big chip was missing. I took some thick shavings from the edge of a maple board and rolled it up, and a few from the ebony and made leaves. I carved a stem and glued it up, and glued the rose on so that the leaf covered the chip left from the accident.

I screwed wed and glued a hair comb inside to make this functional to wear. The varnish is drying now due to last night's accident adding more time, and the party is at 4:00 today! Ack! I will get pics of her wearing it later. You can see in one pic I used spray-on Varathane due to the short drying time.

image.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

If the Great Depression had lasted ten years longer ....Tramp Art might have reached that high level! Best "looking for
    Fountain Of Youth Hat" I've seen. Your little girl will never forget this one.

Blog Entries
    Tanks, but this project didn't make me any younger!

I forgot got to add the wood shaving "curlies" around the feathers. Updated pic:
    image.jpg

Blog Entries
    A lovely hat for a lovely lady.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yes indeed,on her it looks a lot less like Ponce de Leon's fountain hunting hat.

Very nice first carving, and your wife looks quite pleased with your efforts - always a plus in my house. Now you're ready for your second carving: do the hat again, but add eyes in the front and one feather quill in the back and you've got a stingray. Maybe that can be your hat...
    thanks for sharing,
    Karl

If that hat doesn't win, then the judges are biased! Nicely done. Great imagination and execution!

Blog Entries
    Thank you, and it did win best overall; the grand prize. The island is abuzz about the hat. It was fun and I am motivated to do more.

I can see a whole selection on a shelf in an island gift shop!

Blog Entries
    I was able to recover images from my phone that I thought were lost when I damaged it. Here is the process:
    20150329_131644.jpg20150329_132136.jpg20150315_145730.jpg20150329_151010.jpg

Blog Entries