Thread: 12 inch delta drill press help needed

12 inch delta drill press help needed

model 11-990 with 1/2in chuck (JT33) that has failed. Rather than replace with the same, I wonder if anyone has used a Jacobs or similar chuck? Not familiar with jt33 but assume it's Chinese?
    Thank you in advance.

JT33 is the taper on the spindle. Very popular, and used among probably ALL chuck manufacturers.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Thanks for that. And the quick reply.
    So I should be comfortable with purchasing the same online?

JT33 refers to the arbor taper in the chuck head not the taper on the machine spindle which is usually MT#1 or MT#2 on a consumer drill press.
    Jacobs chucks are good quality chucks, they have been used in machine shops for decades.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

It is quite possible to have a JT33 male taper directly on the end of the drill spindle (I have one). The JT is for "Jacobs Taper", different from Morse Taper. The JT33 is for 1/2 inch and maybe smaller chucks, like 3/8. You will have a problem finding a larger chuck with the JT33 socket.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John McClanahan View Post
    JT33 male taper directly on the end of the drill spindle
    Thank you...
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

There are exceptions to every rule. A JT33 on the nose of a spindle is by no means typical.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    There are exceptions to every rule. A JT33 on the nose of a spindle is by no means typical.
    It is on a Delta bench-top DP. Did you bother looking at the one the OP refers to?

My 12in delta dp-350 also has a JT-33 chuck. I replaced it with a generic key less model from woodcraft. This is an extra drill press I'm trying to give to someone (anyone) and put the original chuck back on. If you'd like the key less chuck I'd be glad to mail it to you no charge. Send me a private notification if you'd like it.

~mark

If the drill press has a 1/2" chuck and no Morse taper socket, a JT-33 is very typical. If it has a 5/8" chuck, then it would have a JT-3 taper.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    It is on a Delta bench-top DP. Did you bother looking at the one the OP refers to?
    Sorry Myk, my bad. I was referring to typical full size drill presses where you want the ability to use Morse taper drill bits and accessories, not bench tops.
    Should've had that third cup of coffee.

Andy Rooney

A big + on the keyless from Woodcraft!

Sorry Myk, my bad. I was referring to typical full size drill presses where you want the ability to use Morse taper drill bits and accessories, not bench tops.
    Should've had that third cup of coffee.
    It is actually fairly typical of many import drill presses. My floor-model Ridgid (1550 or 1551) has a Jacob's taper on the end of the spindle.

My previous Ryobi was the same.

Mixed in there somewhere was a Ryobi benchtop unit with a Morse tape on the end of the spindle, and a separate Morse to Jacob's adapter.

I imagine all the US-made stuff has Morse tapers?