Thread: Lumber storage

Lumber storage

Hi all,

I recently made a lumber storage space beneath (crawl space) an addition of my home. I found the space is bone dry. So I laid a tarp sheet, put some 2x4s, and stored my lumbers. As the space is large, I don't have to stack them; they are just laid flat.

Now, my question is, how flat does the space need to be? As the tarp is laid directly on the ground, which was not perfectly flat, the 2x4s are not flat either. If I store my lumbers flat on their faces, do I have to worry the boards will warp or sag by their own weights? In this kind of situation, should I let them stand on their edges?

You advises would be high appreciated!

How close together are the 2 x 4?
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I put four 2x4s across 10-foot length. So, I guess they are separated by 3 feet.

I would not take your approach. Two reasons:

First - any stickering, like your 2 x 4s - is typically 16" on center - roughly twice the number you have today.

Second - if those stickers are not all in the same plane - level both directions, then there will be gaps somewhere along the run where the boards are not flat on the supports.

Both of these conditions will give the boards the opportunity to warp/sag. Even though your crawlspace is "bone dry", there is still humidity there.

I realize that you do not have them stacked - they are just a single level of boards. But I would still be concerned that, over time, the wood can move. I;m not sure that on-edge would make a difference.

I hope others give you some additional insight - perhaps I am overly cautious. I have always been very careful on storing my rough lumber - I want to do whatever I can to keep it flat.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Susumi, can you put two 2X4X10s lengthwise and set the cross 2X4s on those ? This would help to keep them in one plane as well as to add a bit more air circulation beneath. Also, I agree with Kent to add more cross supports. At minimum 24", I would think.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post

Even though your crawlspace is "bone dry", there is still humidity there.
    Maybe you did this and if so ignore me, but I would really check out how dry this space really is. What's the humidity levels, and does it go up in damp weather.
    Profanity is the futile effort of a feeble mind, to exert itself forcefully.

when I was stickering some boards I had cut I made a frame out of some 2x6's I had, so it was flat, maybe you could do similair, screws 2x4s together to make a frame, put a few shims under every so often so they don't sag, but they would be flat then.

You need to store the lumber as flat as you can IMO. I always do this, especially when drying green wood.
    I would set 2 - 4x4's parallel on the ground. Maybe need to excavate a little dirt.
    Put plastic on top and then cross members every 16".
    Shim as needed to make level and coplanar.
    Eyeball is good enough just make sure there is no twist.
    Then set your wood on top. Sticker if not cured.