Thread: Back from the dead bandsaw

Back from the dead bandsaw

Have an older bandsaw. I picked it up back in the late 1980s, at a garage sale. Spent a whopping $90 on it. Used it for many a year, until it finally started to act up a bit, bending blades. Found a scrollsaw last year for $10, so wasn't too worried about the bandsaw. However, I did get tired of it being a place to stash small parts and tools. Decided to move the old saw to the workbench for a little bit of rehab work
    bandsaw.jpg
    Kind of ugly? The side plate is AWOL, and have no idea where it went. Took all the smaller parts off
    bandsaw apart.jpg
    And, used an air hose to blow out the crud where just a brush wouldn't do. Laid all the parts to one side
    smaller parts.jpg
    Mainly the upper and lower guides. Then removed the top wheel. Seems the old tire had stretched to the point it would not stay put, let alone stay on. Got a "new" tire out of the DirtDEvil parts bag. Fit was very tight going on. Sanded a crown into the tire. And started to put the saw back together. I did try the motor out....ran great. Wheels needed a little lube on their axles. Tried a cut.....#$##$# blade won't track, won't stay ON the saw? Ok, after two more tries, gave up on the old blade, bent it up ( even more) and threw away the 6-8 pieces. Got down the LAST saw blade in the shop for this saw ( until payday) and.....it went on with out a fight? Fit the guides to it, and the blade stayed put? Turn the saw on, adjust the tracking a bit....we now have a bandsaw that works!
    completed saw.jpg
    All nice and spiffy! The scrap is some plywood. Blade is a 1/4" wide by bunch of teeth. Cuts slow. Cuts straight as the operator can saw.
    plywood scrap.jpg
    Maybe I could add a plywood panel to the open side? No real place to hinge it, though. Old one was just sheet metal. Flimsy. Had to find a sub for a tracking screw, though, as the old wing nut had gone away. Seems to be working ok.
    Now, either I need to clear a spot for this saw to sit on, WHERE I can actuaaly use it, or...build a stand for it? Built one for the lathe, built one for the SKIL Router Table. Maybe something to set this on, instead of ON my bench?

Maybe I can get anther 30+ years of use out of it???

This saw was having issues just keeping a blade on the saw. Blade would also get stuck in the cut. Finally had one get badly bent, right before it came off the wheels. Seems to be a lot better runner now, cut sounds smooother,too. Maybe all it needed was a clean up and a tune up? Got the guide blocks in their correct spots, I think. The lower bearing can go as is for awhile. Press fitted on a rod, that is driven through the yoke, almost like on a hand plane. Tracking is via a brass bolt, screwed into the backside of the upper wheel carriage. Or, whatever you call that block it bolts into. Got it tightened down, tracking seems to be good, for now. Using the DirtDevil drive belts as tires, because I have yet to find the proper ones, anywhere. These are fairly cheap, and very tight fitting. On med leave right now, so a $300+ new saw is out of the question. No room for a full sized one down there, anyway. Might work out ok. It will give the scrollsaw a bit of a rest.