Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3-ply engraveable laminates

3-ply engraveable laminates

I am sure I read somewhere that you can get a 3-ply laserable laminate but I cant remember where and being the muppet I am didnt bookmark the link

If it is available, does anyone know where in the UK I can get some and in what colours are available?

I have emailed Trotec but they are quite expensive and I do like to try and get a good deal
    Speedy 300 80W
    CorelDRAW x7

Graham

I doubt that you'll find a "good deal" on 3 ply as it is in limited use thus limited availability. I'd probably buy the first place I found it and be happy to save the time.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Try Rowmark

Thanks for the replies, I will have a look at Rowmark.

I have been asked if I can make some A4 size certificate type awards that would have 3 colours showing so for example, the top layer would be black, then engrave a layer to reveal a gold colour for another part of the design and then engrave slightly deeper to reveal the 3rd colour red which would be the company logo.

I rightly or wrongly assumed this is possible and thought that the 3-ply laminate would be the best solution. If there is a better material out there that would be more suitable then I am happy to use that as I am still very new to this so don't necessarily know the best material for each job.

Direct printing would be the best way to do this, my DCS printer would do a great job! I'm sure someone in the UK has a printer like mine, or similar.

Try HPC Laser Ltd

All the 3 ply I've seen from Rowmark and IPI were all just designed to use both sides of the material, not to give 2 different colors when engraving.

Just engrave them deeper and paint will the different colors.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Gravograph has some material called Gravoply 3C that is meant to be 3 color engraved from one side but appears to be for mechanical engraving only.
    http://www.gravograph.us/engraving-p...gravoply3c.php
    Universal PLS 6.120D 75 watt
    MutiCam Apex CNC 4'x8' w 6 bit TC.
    EnrRoute 6 Pro 3d software.
    Vision 2550 Rotary Engraver.

You could use black/gold substrate, mask it, engrave the logo, color fill that area with red, then engrave the rest that is supposed to be gold colored, and remove the mask.

Or, mask and engrave the whole she-bang and then color fill just the logo (you may need to re-cover the areas that should remain gold colored if, for example, you are spraying the red, but may not need to cover again if using a small brush to apply the red).

For application as such I use reverse engravable sheet stock and paint fill in multiple colors.
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 60w, with Quatro CSA-626 fume extraction
    Xenetech 1625 x2,
    New Hermes TX pantograph, CG4 cutter grinder
    Brady Globalmark2 label printer,
    Assortment of custom tooling , shears & punches, heat bender.
    Software: Xenetech XOT, Corel X3, Bartender label software

What Paul said -- Gravograph's 3-color isn't laserable.

It would be nearly impossible to regulate the depth of a laser cut in the first place...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I would use a colorfill for the third color.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

We just go straight to sublimation for this type of stuff.
    4 - Q1 converted New Hermes C2000's
    Signature 8080 Plus
    Universal 50w X2-600
    Universal 60w X-660
    Epilog 60w Fusion 40
    50w 5070 China Special

Why not just use 2 sheets of thin 2 ply... Get the ones with the adhesive backing... Cut through the areas that you need for the 3rd color and you are good to go... No muss, no fuss... No trying to color fill....
    Full Spectrum Laser 5th Gen, 45 Watt with Gold Catalyst tube
    Rotary Attachment
    Corel Draw X5
    Complete wood shop.

Thanks for the replies gents but they have changed their minds again and now want to try something else

Iam seriously wondering if it is worth the hassle for this job but they are a big nationwide company so there may be the chance of future work so I guess I will just have to bite the bullet
    Speedy 300 80W
    CorelDRAW x7