Thread: Planer table stand - wheel questions

Planer table stand - wheel questions

I'm making one that will be put away under a work table. It rotates to allow the planer to hang upside down. It's a Dewalt 735.
    I'm debating about the casters. Ones that lock are expensive and not so sure I don't want to use only two anyway and have the others as fixed legs.
    I only have to move it 10 feet so distance is not an issue. I'm still at a point I can tolerate different wheel size.
    My thoughts are the small and expensive ones that take about 2" of height. Those don't lock.

Blog Entries
    I did two double locking and two fixed. Worked great for years and is still working ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Okay, I'm not going to be deliberately snarky, but I'm not sure how to say this without sounding snarky.

You've got a $600 planer. You're sweating an extra $15 for 2 locking casters? I've had a planer, two actually, one a DW 735, with only two wheels, non locking. I strongly suggest that you go with 4 casters, two locking. Whether the other two are fixed or swivel is up to you.

2 fixed little casters, $10 or so. I hated them. If you go with only 2 casters, you have to tilt the planer to move it. Doing so is a PITA because the balance point is high.

2 3" fixed and 2 3" locking swivel casters from Harbor Freight, $15. Since HF is a good ways off from Cheyenne, you could pop over to Menards and drop a whole $25 for similar casters. Based on my past experiences, I'd go whole hog to $30 and get 4 locking swivels.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Johnston View Post
    .....not so sure I don't want to use only two anyway and have the others as fixed legs....I only have to move it 10 feet
    Actually, for only 10', it is not really a big deal. 2 fixed casters on the back, with longer lart legs on the front. Pick up the end with the legs on the floor, and roll it into place. BTDT multiple times.

Kinda along the lines of "don't overdrive your headlights".
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I agree with John..4 locking swivels will get the job done smoothly and with real agility in your shop. my shop cramped & the smooth running, easy driving casters (from rockler) made my tools easy to navigate
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

When I wrote the post I was thinking the locking ones were 20 each. I'd agree with the replies!