Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need a new saw blade

Need a new saw blade

I am in need of a new blade. I am looking at a combination blade. I already have a glue line rip blade. I know that a forest woodworker is the best. But I am not willing to spend the money for one. I have been looking at a Freud LU72R010 or Premier Fusion. What is the good or bad about these blades. There might be other choices out there, that I have not found. I have a Grizzly GO691 saw. Any suggestions or comments will be helpful.
    Last edited by Tim Compton; 04-27-2015 at 7:23 PM.

I got a blade from Carbide Processers. It was a 12'' miter saw blade but it is a dandy. I don't know about prices but I will buy from them again if the need arises.

I also ordered a combination and rip from carbide processor. I have only used the rip at this point and it is nice. I don't know about longevity or how the combination will perform, but it has more carbide than the Forrest visually looking at it.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Doing a google search I can not find LU72R10, I found LU72MO10 and LU83RO10.

It is the LU72R010 or LU72M010. I missed typed the model number. The Fusion is the P410.

The Freud LU72R010 is a 24 tooth ripping blade; not sure why you would want that. The Premium Fusion is a 40 tooth HiATB combo blade, and would be a good choice. Personally, I find combo blades like all season tires - sorta OK at everything but not truly good at anything. If you have a glue line rip blade already I would consider the Freud LU80R010 blade for crosscut work. Beautifully smooth for plywood, Melamine, and solid wood up to about 6/4.

John

I have checked Freud web site twice the Lu72R010 and the LU72M010 are listed as combination blades.

Aren't Carbide Processor blades in the $100+ category? If so, they don't exactly fit the OP's requirements.
    I've been happy with my Freud blades, and my Forrest blades.

Tim, one thing to consider is that while a premium blade may cost a little more at initial purchase, many of them, including the Forrest, have better and thicker carbide that can be resharpened more times than the lower priced blades. Along those lines, it's a good idea to consider "total cost of ownership" rather than just the initial cost...the better blade may cost you a bit less over time. By example, I have two Forrest WW-II 40 blades...they each have been sharpened 4-5 times so far...since I bought them in the early 2000s. If I do the math, my cost per year is pretty darn attractive! (and so are the cuts)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

May be heresy on this site, but go to Lowes and spend $37.99 on a Marples 50 tooth combination. Try it. Not saying it is a WWII, but for the price you can't beat it.
    Jerry

"It is better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation" - Herman Melville

I've been pretty happy with my Oshlun blades so far. I plan to try one on my track saw. I've never been sorry I bought a Freud, however. I like the 50 tooth with 10 sets of 4 ATB plus a raker.

Check out Infinity Blades. I agree with Jim Becker's statement. Upfront cost is higher but you have a blade that last 10 times longer.

Tim: I've been using an Infinity Combomax on a Craftsman 22124 and am very happy with the cuts. The price is very reasonable and the folks at Infinity are great to work with.

Check out the Delta 7657 from Cripe Distributing. Last time I checked, they were only $18, plus $10 for shipping. Multiples ship cheaper per unit. This is my every day use blade, even though I own two WWII"s. One of the WWII's has never been on saw, and other only a couple times. I own several of the 7657's. One day I may send the one on my saw in for sharpening.

Blog Entries
    I have had my Freud blades resharpened many times and it looks like they still have a lot of meat left. Same with my go-to 13 year old Oldham Woodworking Wizard combo blade I got at a WW show in Detroit.
    NOW you tell me...