Thread: Hackberry Headboard

Hackberry Headboard

I usually hang out in the turners forum but sometimes tackle other types of woodworking.
    This will be a birthday present for a young lady. I was told "She likes dolphins". Hopefully she will like this. The hackberry had quite a bit of character with some blue stain, a little curl and a few worm holes. It was dyed with Belen's Sola-Lux "Sea Blue" thinned with lacquer thinner. The dolphin is walnut with an exotic for the eye.
    Comments and critiques welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I like it. I'm sure the recipient will be thrilled. The blue looks great with the dolphin!

#1 I like it - nice, clever, finishing scheme.
    #2 You win - I had to google hackberry. New one on me. Interesting. From a lumber yard, or a local/small mill?
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

That is really great! I better not let anyone in my house see that.....
    Profanity is the futile effort of a feeble mind, to exert itself forcefully.

Dennis, that's very sweet. Terrific job !

Dennis, it looks great! How did you attach the horizontal field to the posts? Curious to know how to accommodate wood movement in such a big piece.

Ted: The horizontal field has wide tenons into a long mortice in the posts (glued only in the top 5 inches). The bottom stretcher also connects via mortice-tenon (fully glued).

Kent: The hackberry is from one that I cut done for a neighbor a couple of years ago, I took it to local guy to get milled up.

Thanks Dennis.

hi dennis: I think any kid would love this special headboard made just for them. Super job!
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

The headboard looks great and gives me some ideas. My daughters SO runs a charter fishing boat out of Surfside Texas and she is into marine-related furnishings.

Is the Dolphin applied or inlaid into the Hackberry? I can't tell from the picture.

BTW, I have a large stack of spalted Hackberry that I'm holding for the right project. I also have several large Hackberry logs that are laid aside to spalt before sawing.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

That's really outstanding!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

What woodworker would not want wood water waves? Works wonderfully!

Impressive.
    Best Regards,

Gordon