Thread: Deck stain recommendation?

Deck stain recommendation?

It's time to re-stain the deck. I just did it two seasons ago with a "six-year gaurentee" big blue box store deck stain. If I was going on year 5 I wouldn't complain but 2 seasons? There has to be a better product out there. So that's the question. What's the longest lasting deck stain?

Probably a semi-transparent stain and the deck is pressure treated. And yes, I waited two years before cleaning and staining. Deck faces south but we have some shade trees and a sun screen. It is just wearing off in places. Looked great on year 1. Not so great on the beginning of year 3.

I'm not too concerned about price. I'll have a lot of time and labor in stripping and cleaning the old stuff off and there are things I'd much rather do then clean and stain a deck so the if something costs twice as much but lasts twice as long then I'm in.

Sikkens? Penofin? Benjamin Moore? Sherwin Williams?

Thanks.

I wish I could help. Read reviews and used a semi-Behr transparent stain. Lasted somewhat on a few areas, but not where the sun hits. However on up and down areas and where the sun doesn't hit, it really sticks. I am having trouble removing some sections which is what I want to do and start over with something else. Decks seem to be a real problem, so if anyone has good ideas on removing and then staining, I would be interested as well.
    Thanks,
    John

I have had pretty good luck with TWP (Total Wood Protection) I used to buy it and have it shipped but my favorite store nearby carries it. I apply it with my tank garden sprayer and a brush. Check it out at: http://www.twpstain.com/ Lots of good information available at the web site.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Berrevoets View Post
    I'll have a lot of time and labor in stripping and cleaning the old stuff off
    I don't think of a "stain" as the kind of product that forms a skin that can flake off or that you could strip off. Are you taking off a layer of wood?

That's pretty much what semi-transparent stain does. No deck was high on my wishlist when we moved.

I used Sherwin-Williams oil-based Deckscapes last year after having my deck professionally cleaned and powerwashed. I can't remember what I used the 5-6 years prior to that but it was more than ready to be redone and I've always liked the other SW paint products. This is a stain and doesn't give that glossy just-varnished look that I've seen on some decks. Any type of film product like that exposed to the sun is not going to last very long between UV rays and normal foot traffic.
    Mark Patoka
    Stafford, VA

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Tashiro View Post
    I don't think of a "stain" as the kind of product that forms a skin that can flake off or that you could strip off. Are you taking off a layer of wood?
    No, not taking off wood, taking off the old stain/finish. It's not flaking off like paint but is worn off in areas so it is uneven. If I restain/refinish I'm thinking I want to get back to original wood so it will be consistent and adhere. And I probably want to change products since the last one only lasted two seasons.

CABOT has performed well for me on deck.
    Jerry

I stretched mine into a two season stain but it's really good for only one. You may not need to strip it, rather use a deck cleaner then the new stain. I'm also partial to S-W products though they recommended TWP. I'm disappointed in the one season aspect. Only apply one coat also.

Last year I scrubbed my deck with water and a car wash soap. I was surprised how good it looked.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I know you asked about stains, but if you would ever consider paint then give this one a try. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleu...z0v0mkZ1z0xdsl

This is what I have on my deck and LOVE it. It's 10 times thicker than paint and does a great job at covering up nail holes and end grain butt joints where the ends of the boards come together. It has a nice concrete like texture to it and dries up within an hour after a hard rain while stain will stay wet for hours. The company that did the paint job for my deck with this product gave me a 30 year warranty on it. After 2 years, my deck with this finish looks just like the day it was rolled on.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Olexa View Post
    CABOT has performed well for me on deck.
    A few years ago, I used old business connections to ask a high-level technical expert for one of the leading producers of PT lumber. His response - he uses Cabot Semi-Transparent oil-based stain for his deck. FIne with me - - that's what I did.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

A few years ago I hired a painter to stain my deck. He said generally regular semi-transparent stain should last about a year but cabot will last 2 years ..so he recommended Cabot but would have to charge me an extra 50 to 100 dollars for the stain. I went with cabot and actually was able to get 3 years out of it before I had to restain..so I'm pretty much a believer in the Cabot products...be careful though..here in Illinois they have reformulated the product a year ago to meet Eco green concerns..

After doing more research other place and reading some of the responses I guess it is just to be accepted that 2 to maybe 3 years is the most I can expect the finish to last. It still bugs me they put a 6 year guarantee on the product.

Looks like Cabot might be a good choice. I keep seeing TWP mentioned in other places as well. For those that use Cabot or TWP how do you refinish? just clean it with a cleaner and slap on another coat every few years? Strip the old first?

Maybe I should just be focusing on the easiest product to refinish. Like any painting/staining project the actual painting or staining isn't typically the bulk of the work. It's the prep work that takes the time and isn't as much fun.

If you haven't stained your deck yet, I would recommend TWP 100. I researched for a year before I did mine. I went to the Contractor Talk forum and asked the pros their opinions. The responses ran the gamut, but I came away believing TWP100 would be the best. I can't recommend the TWP1500, which has lower VOC content. They won't ship the TWP100 to many states because of enviro laws. But I think the VOC's are what makes these products superior. Think waterbased stain and polys. Although from what I've read, waterbased is just as good these days.

Jim