Thread: Thoughts on finishing kitchen table

Thoughts on finishing kitchen table

I have a hard maybe kitchen table that I stripped, sanded and stained. I would like to finish it quickly and have bought a quart can of Minwax "quick drying" Satin poly. Three questions concerning application:
    1) This is NOT your traditional "wipe on poly" but is there any reason why I can't wipe it on with those blue shop towels? 2) If so, is there any reason why I couldn't use mineral spirits to dilute it (or another product for thinning)? 3) Is it OK to use the white mineral spirits (env. friendly)?

I need something that's easy to apply and also dries quickly so I can apply 3/4 coats over a 24 hr. period.

Any suggestions / advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

If you want to wipe it on, I have to say - the Minwax wipe-on poly is a very good product in that class. Maybe you would do best to go get some of that. I certainly would - get the right size hammer for the nail you are trying to drive. Why risk it? However.............

I'm guessing that you need to dilute it 50/50. But - recognize that 3 coats of that will equal 1 coat of full strength.

Yes, you can then apply it with the Scott Blue Towels.

The "environmentally friendly" MS is probably good for something - I am not sure quite what - but I tried it once for thinning varnish. Never again.

And also - FWIW - the other MS products at the typical hardware store, Home Depot, etc., are not pure MS. I had a problem there also - I suspect the quality of the MS was the root cause, but I cannot prove it.

Now, I only get MS at a legit paint store - Sherwin Williams in my case. "100% pure mineral spirits". I buy a couple-three gallons when I go, so I always have inventory on-hand. The wind has been at my back ever since.

Finally - it sounds like you have a deadline you have to meet. BTDT. You might get the wipe-on, do what you can do within 24 hours, following product instructions. Then - next week, or whenever you have a chance, go back and finish the job.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Well, you can't wipe on full-strength varnish. It won't flow out properly. You can thin it out to make it into wiping consistency.

But look out for the thinner. There really isn't any industry-wide accepted spec for what "mineral spirits" actually is. Here in low-VOC land, the stuff sold as mineral spirits just doesn't evaporate much at all. I can pour a puddle in a saucer, and a week later there will still be fluid in the saucer. In contrast, Minwax Wipe-on still has a solvent which evaporates pretty quickly; I can apply several coats in a day.