Thread: Metal Star

Metal Star

I have made many wooden stars and sold them all. I have lost some sales because the wood is not durable enough to be used outside in this west Texas weather. Today I made my first metal star. I used painted 24 gage steel to make this 28" star. I used a 24" Pan and Box brake from Grizzly to make this: I prefer the look of the wooden one but the metal one can be attached to the outside of a house.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

That's very cool, Jim. Beautiful job! I like the look of the wooden one too, but from a distance it probably doesn't matter. These should sell well for you.

Nice work!

Nice design and layout. Are all the "points" essentially identical?

Finished star.jpgYes I developed a pattern and use it to make all points the same and then assemble the five pieces and rivet them together.
    I had made many wooden stars and took measurements from one to get the pattern. This is a photo of the wooden star.

Nice looking job Jim! If you prefer the wood look but the metal life span outdoors, you should have someone digitally print you a couple long strips of vinyl with a laminate on it that looks like wood. Then you could just cut that, peel it, apply it, and then assemble the metal one and it would look just like wood, and with the right material, would last 5-7 years outside.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Metal star painted.jpgOne of my buyers re-painted one of my stars and has it hanging outside on his store front. I need to try doing this to others I have made. Star is 38" across and made of 26 gauge sheet metal.

I have finally found a way to make the small stars for this metal star. I have cut out small stars from an old magnetic sign I had from a former business I had. I attached the stars, I cut out, using heat resistant epoxy. (JB weld) I have one mounted to the outside of my shop and have four ready to offer for sale this summer. The Brown ones, I had, were slow sellers. I hope this change will sell better.

More photos of these metal stars. One before painting and one after. I have painted four of these. (sold one)
    Attached Images Attached Images