Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are you happy with Titebond 3?

Are you happy with Titebond 3?

I'm curious to hear what you all think of Titebond III. I switched to it a while ago due to the advertised claims of longer working times, etc, but I'm not sure I'm sold on it.

I live in the Phoenix area where the temp is over 100 all summer long, so longer working times are a definite plus. But since switching to TB 3, it seems as the difficulty of my glue-ups has actually increased. Specifically, I'm having trouble keeping glued workpieces aligned during clamping. The glue seems to be skinning over very quickly retaining a wet pool of glue underneath that does not so easily "smash" when clamped. This wet pool of glue then allows the glue surfaces to easily slide back and forth across each other during clamping, even with the clamps as perpendicular to the glue surface as reasonably possible. I've been working wood for a long time now, and have never had such difficulty before. The only thing that has changed in my techinque is the glue, although I haven't been in PHX that long, so heat could be at least part of the issue.

Without starting another discussion of "glue creep", which has never been a problem for me, what do you guys think of Titebond III?

Not happy with it. I threw my gallon away. I lost ten door panels with #3.
    I went back to the original #1

I tried one bottle and gave most of that away much for the same reasons you meantioned. It just seemed to be too plastic-like and the initial holding power didn't seem to be there. Of the three formulations I really perfere TB I, but have changed over to Elmers pro bond after reading the tests in FWW (I think).

Mike,

I got this from the Titebond web site.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=611 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD width=105>Limitations</TD><TD width=5></TD><TD width=486>Not for continuous submersion or for use below the waterline. Not for structural or load bearing
    applications. Use when temperature, glue and materials are above 45°F. Store product below 75°F.
    Storage above this temperature may cause product to thicken and reduce the usable shelf life. If
    thickened, shake vigorously by firmly tapping bottle on a hard surface until product is restored to
    original form. Because of variances in the surfaces of treated lumber, it is a good idea to test for
    adhesion. KEEP FROM FREEZING.
    KEEP OUT OF THE REACH OF CHILDREN.
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

it looked like it doesn't like temps in excess of 75 *F
    I live in an arid region of Califoria and we've had temps in the high 90's. I use Elmers and have had no problems.

You know Cecil, I used to always use Elmer's ProBond and loved it. I don't know why I ever stopped using it. Thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Arnold
    I tried one bottle and gave most of that away much for the same reasons you meantioned. It just seemed to be too plastic-like and the initial holding power didn't seem to be there. Of the three formulations I really perfere TB I, but have changed over to Elmers pro bond after reading the tests in FWW (I think).

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy
    Not happy with it. I threw my gallon away. I lost ten door panels with #3.
    I went back to the original #1
    Steve, I'm curious. How did you "lose" 3 door panels? Did the glue fail or what? Thanks!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Used it...didn't like it and went back to Original and my Liquid Hide Glue.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I have the dissenting opinion.

I use it.

I like it. No, correct that.

I love it.

We buy it by the case. (4gal)

The only time I ever had a problem, I was gluing a emergency deal,

way behind schedual, out side when the temperature took a

dramatic dip. I ran the assembly inside and hit it with a heat gun

and saved it. Now I find it funny that I have no problems

with this glue and so many do. Maybe the glue Guru

could shed some light on this inconsistincy.

Per
    Last edited by Per Swenson; 08-08-2005 at 9:00 PM. Reason: spelling
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Vermeil
    The glue seems to be skinning over very quickly retaining a wet pool of glue underneath that does not so easily "smash" when clamped. This wet pool of glue then allows the glue surfaces to easily slide back and forth across each other during clamping, even with the clamps as perpendicular to the glue surface as reasonably possible.
    I’ve used TB-3 few times...mostly for the longer open time. Slip & slide in some glue ups get to be a problem with any of the glues. If I suspect there is going to be a problem I will use, maybe dowels, brads, or baby clamps to control things until I get the main battery of clamps on.

Couple of baby clamps to hold things until I get the big boys on.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Larry

Living in Phoenix as well I know the importance of open time for glue I have tried to do glue ups mostly in the night, just to take advantage of the "cooler" temps... It's still 105º at 10pm some nights. I had a friend that bought a bottle of TB3 and what he did not like was the way it stuck to the metal on some of his clamps... he had a heck of a time removing the excess, unlike original TB1 where it would just pop off. He lives in Phoenix as well...
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

I, like Per love this stuff. I have used it for many of the glueups I've done lately. Poplar, Anigre, maple. Works like a champ.
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson

I too live in the Phoenix area, but have come to appreciate TB3. It is alittle messy, but the bonding power seems to be better and the "open time" is just what I needed in the heat. I found that the only way to save the clamps is immediate wipe off of the drippings with a damp rag. Just my 2 cents.

I have used it in my basement on Long Island (65 degrees) to glue up some 5/4 Mahagony for shelves and it seemed too gummy at first but cleaned up well with invisible dried glue lines.

Drops of it are still on my Bessys, 1 year later.

I use it and I like it, but I noticed it does tend to stain clamps. I work in my basement so temperature is not an issue.

Effie

I really like TightBond 3 it seems very strong... Another great glue is Lee Valley 2002GFIt is very good as well!!!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"