Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any decent inexpensive scanners for receipts out there?

Any decent inexpensive scanners for receipts out there?

I am looking for a decent inexpensive scanner for scanning in receipts. Can anyone recommend one? I will not be scanning in photos or anything like that. I don't know if I need a flatbed scanner or not. A lot of what I will scan in is receipts from grocery stores and the like.

Brian: I don't know what you would call inexpensive, but there is one

http://www.amazon.com/Neatreceipts-P.../dp/B00FX62TQE

You will find others like it by searching on portable scanners. I would stay away from flatbed and go with one like this one. Flat beds are great, but for receipts - a pain in the butt.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Snap a pic with your phone maybe?

I should have clarified that I would like to be around $100 or less. I am the treasurer for a Boy Scout troop. The troop is implementing a new web site that includes a financial accounting system. The financial portion includes the ability to attach a document to each financial transaction. I get a fair number of paper receipts that need to be scanned in.

I thought a flat bed scanner might be better for all the folded and wrinkled thermal paper receipts I get. If another type of scanner will work I am all for that.

A dedicated receipt scanner will be more convenient as they will feed the receipt even if it is folded or wrinkled. On a flatbed, you will have to get it flat enough that it will stay in place while you close the lid. A $50 Canon flatbed works great for low quantity one at a time scanning.

Don't forget you will need to save the file in a format that is compatible with that system. I'm afraid the dedicated receipt scanners may want to save it in their system. Neatreceipts used to have a proprietary system and keep trying to sell you additional services when you used it. I don't know if that is still true.

I can attach any sort of file to the transactions in the financial system. PDF would probably be the best format, but JPEG or others would work too.

I own two Brother multifunction printers and have been very pleased with them. They have good scanners in them and will scan to file in a variety of formats -- here is a model of an inkjet version for under $100 that would easily meet your needs and provide much more than just scanning. It is wireless as well. I have a large format Brother Inkjet (MFC-6920DW) for duplex color printing on up to ledger sized paper and a B/W laser printer (MFC-7860DW) that is faster and duplexes up to legal sized. Both have automatic document feeders or can scan smaller items or even books on the scanner glass (both were under $300 each). I use them lots for all kinds of scanning and printing (I am not connected in any way with Brother or any of their retailers, just a happy customer).

As Steve said, if you have a smart phone there are apps available for free that will 'scan' via the camera and produce PDF files. I have an android based phone and use one called Fast Scanner by CoolMobileSolutions.
    If you only need to do a scan once in awhile it works well. I don't think I would want to use it to catch up on back paper work although I wouldn't see why you couldn't just tedious holding the phone to take the scan.

For android I use "Cam Scanner". Take picture, crop, it saves as PDF. Easy Peasy

Tony
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

I know of one service that will take that pic of a receipt and turn it into something you can import into quickbooks and such. fro around 8.00 a month. seemed nice and handy.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

I needed the same for me expense receipts as I travel weekly for my current position. The easiest/best I've found is the native scanner part of the Google Drive app....

I had a need for a multi function machine, copy/scan/print. I got a HP at Christmas for $35.00 or so. Watch Staples' adds. Seems like there is always one of them on special at any given time. Especially any holiday excuse for a sale.

My wife has the baseline Doxie scanner, mostly for checks, receipts, and invoices, and loves it. We got an older model for just under 100 bucks on sale. The new ones have lots of bells and whistles, but cost a lot more.

++++++++++

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    Snap a pic with your phone maybe?

Yes, a smartphone is a free option for this, but it is a pain to do over and over again. I keep forgetting to see if the scanner I can get from work has the power supply and everything else required to make it work.