Thread: #49 T&G plane

#49 T&G plane

I've been struggling getting the #49 set up. I've used the #48 before and didn't have any problems, though needed to fine tune the groove a bit.

The vintage Stanleys have 2 cutters, so getting them set up is very fussy. I had a chance to test the L-N 48 about 10 years ago when I visited the showroom. At that time it was a prototype and no 49 had been made. As expected it was a solid plane that felt great in the hand. Clearly a step up from the Stanley. Does anyone know if the LN blade, which is a single blade with a slot in the middle, will fit the vintage #49? I called LN, and the nice young lady didn't know. I could always get one to try, but thought I'd ask here first.

Blog Entries
    Mark,

I have no idea if the LN blade will work in your Stanley #49. The things I would look at are the extra thickness of the blade and how long is the slot on the LN blade. Sadly every time the LN web site is upgraded it seems the small details about their products are left off.

Your best bet might be to go to one of their Tool Events and take your #49 along for a test fit.

Are the problems you are having with the current two blade set up insurmountable?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Not insurmountable but frustrating. When I used it before i hone the cutters, popped them in and went to town. Probably was lucky! The groove is easy since it just involves 1 cutter. Setting up for the tongue is trickier. The cutters are held by a cam type mechanism, so setting them to equal depth is tricky. They have to be perfectly aligned with the body or you end up with a stepped cut, much like what would happen with a shoulder plane not properly set up. Depth adjustment is frustrating since there isn't enough room to use a hammer to tap the blade. I spent 20 minutes without getting it right last night and finally put it down out of frustration. Maybe tonight will go better!

I'm seriously considering getting the LN version. This is exactly the kind of problem that is making me gravitate to modern tools rather than vintage.

Blog Entries
    They have to be perfectly aligned with the body or you end up with a stepped cut, much like what would happen with a shoulder plane not properly set up.
    Would having a piece of wood dimensioned to the thickness of a finished tongue be helpful with the alignment?

The closest I have come to one of these was at a tool event. I was trying to help another person use it. For my own tongue and groove work there is my Stanley 45 with match blades.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Would having a piece of wood dimensioned to the thickness of a finished tongue be helpful with the alignment?

The closest I have come to one of these was at a tool event. I was trying to help another person use it. For my own tongue and groove work there is my Stanley 45 with match blades.

jtk
    Jim, that is a brilliant idea. Why didn't I think of it I'll have to dig out one of my 45s and give it a whirl. It's been a while since I looked at the cutters (years, to be truthful), and I don't know what box they are in for sure. I can't wait to get enough storage built to work without searching for something. The 49 centers on 1/2 in stock. Will the 45 do that?

So I spent some time tonight to get this thing set up and did manage to make it work. Probably got the tongue set just a little wide since it was more difficult to push than it should have been. Beeswax is really your friend in that situation. I did have to trim the tongue a bit with a shoulder plane, and dug out the side rabbets to use on the groove.

20150429_185958.jpg20150429_190121.jpg20150429_190130.jpg

This last shot shows what I was struggling with before and what can happen without careful setup

20150429_190220.jpg

The end result will work well. These won't be seen, since they will be covered by the cradle mattress.

20150429_194123.jpg

Blog Entries
    The 49 centers on 1/2 in stock. Will the 45 do that?
    With the #45 you will have to center it on the stock using the fence.

jtk