Thread: Delta 20" band saw

Delta 20" band saw

Two questions.

I am wondering how the later model 20" Delta band saws (I assume they are Taiwanese) stack up against the earlier models? I see several types of used Delta/Rockwell older ones on CL, as well as the newer ones which look noticeably different.

I have looked at Grizzly, Jet, and the like, and wonder if the offshore Deltas are any different?

I am looking at used machines.

Thanks,
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

The older D/R 20" saws are well regarded. Also consider an older 20" Powermatic.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    I have looked at Grizzly, Jet, and the like, and wonder if the offshore Deltas are any different?
    Same junk. Look for a pre 1970s.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

The newer saws, (at least up until 02'), are good machines and should not be compared with the 2 other brands you mentioned. They're not top of the line machines, but they're a good middle of the road machine that'll get the job done. Pretty much like all the heavier Delta stuff

However I can't compare to the older saws since I only own the newer one.

good luck,
    JeffD

Owning a '51 20" DD delta/crescent and using a '80's powermatic mod 81 I can honestly say get a powermatic from 60's to 90's. It's a quality 20"er.

I have seen various iterations of the Delta 20 on CL, but I cannot remember ever seeing a Powermatic 20. I would like to upgrade from my 14" Delta, without breaking the bank. General use, with occasional resawing.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Here is my Powermatic, from 1962. After working on it I was able to get just over 13" of resaw. (Guard all the way up here.)

image-4144297032.jpg

That sure looks sturdy enough Doug. I googled them and saw pics yesterday, but like I said, I don't remember seeing any on CL, but have seen Delta's for about $1000 that looked clean. There is a late model one on my local CL that looks like new for $1250, if anyone is interested.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Keep an eye on industrial auctions in your area. There can be terrific opportunities for larger school saws.

Doug

I'm not sure, but I thought the Powermatic 20's were metal bandsaws? If so that's probably why you don't see as many around as you do the Delta's.

JeffD

The PM 87 is a metal saw. The 80 (early) and 81 are wood cutting saws.

Not sure about that either. Just a wood working starter.