Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for Oscillating Tool Purchase

Suggestions for Oscillating Tool Purchase

I've had the Harbor Freight version of this tool for several years. It has finally given up the ghost on me. I would consider purchasing another HF but would like to move up to something better. I know I want a corded tool instead of cordless. Seems like the quick change blade feature would be desirable as well. Dewalt, Bosch, Porter Cable, Dremel, Rockwell, etc, any suggestions? Fein would not be a consideration based on price.

I have a Bosch and am quite happy with it. I had a shock when I found out the cost of new blades (they really don't last long, do they?) but when I demo'ed my bathroom, it was THE tool for cutting out bad studs and sill plates and such so totally worth it.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I tried several and when using them, there's not a lot of difference. I haven't tried the Festool but the cost kind of eliminates that one. I have the HF now and if it died I'd probably buy another one.

But a lot depends on how frequently you use it. If it's for a one time project, go HF. If you use it every day, I'd go with a more name brand. And as Chris said, no matter which you buy, the cost is in the blades.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I went with the DeWalt cordless, been very pleased with it. Only thing I dislike is the variable speed trigger, would prefer a separate speed dial.

They also offer a corded version.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    I have a Bosch and am quite happy with it.
    Same here.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
    -Bill Watterson

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
    -W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Labadie View Post
    I went with the DeWalt cordless, been very pleased with it. Only thing I dislike is the variable speed trigger, would prefer a separate speed dial. They also offer a corded version. Ed
    I also purchased the DeWalt cordless; mainly since I already have the batteries and didn't want a cord on the tool. I bought the HF corded version first and ended up using it more than anticipated, which prompted the upgrade.

Tom

I have used the heck out of my Porter Cable corded tool for remodeling purposes and it has never let me down. I must warn you that it requires Porter Cable or compatible blades. Some saws will use generic blades that are more widely available.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    I have a Bosch and am quite happy with it. I had a shock when I found out the cost of new blades (they really don't last long, do they?) but when I demo'ed my bathroom, it was THE tool for cutting out bad studs and sill plates and such so totally worth it.
    I also have a Bosch, battery powered but, unfortunately, the battery doesn't last with this tool. I'm thinking of buying a corded one.

..And, speaking of using it on a bathroom project, it's great for removing grout.

My HF variable speed oscillating tool has been running well for about 6 years now. My GF bought the non-variable speed version and she has had 2 die on her in a couple of years. I don't know if the variable speed versions are more robust, if I just got lucky or if HF cheapened their oscillating tools over the years?

When my first HF died I bought a second one. First HF tool I've had die. I used it hard when I used it. The new one is shaped a bit different. It works just like the last one. It isn't a real nice tool but how can you go badly wrong when it is on sale for $15? The multi-speed one is $30. I'd like to have the Ryobi 18V but I can't justify $70 (without batteries) when the $15 tool works fine. I don't do any work on finished pieces with it so I don't see why the cruder tool isn't OK.

Quote Originally Posted by julian abram View Post
    I've had the Harbor Freight version of this tool for several years. It has finally given up the ghost on me. I would consider purchasing another HF but would like to move up to something better.
    Have you changed the brushes? They do come with a new set.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Have you changed the brushes? They do come with a new set.
    Yes brushes did not help. It's death was my fault, got baptized during a bathroom remodel. They do not like water immersion!

Quote Originally Posted by julian abram View Post
    I've had the Harbor Freight version of this tool for several years. It has finally given up the ghost on me. I would consider purchasing another HF but would like to move up to something better. I know I want a corded tool instead of cordless. Seems like the quick change blade feature would be desirable as well. Dewalt, Bosch, Porter Cable, Dremel, Rockwell, etc, any suggestions? Fein would not be a consideration based on price.

I know you said Fein is not a consideration but I would try to reconsider if you use it heavily. In my remodeling company we have owned several and the Fein model we originally purchased, along with two others are still in use. The other brands have not lasted. With that said, our guys use them daily and they take a beating.

I did see Home Depot had the Fein for $199

I also have a Fein and really like it..... If I were to buy a lower cost tool, I would read the reviews and then go to the store ans see which one fits your hand best. Variable speed is a must have.

Robert

Another reason to get on the bandwagon with the Milwaukee 12 volt system.
    This thing works better than my multimaster.
    Bare Tool is $119

Milwaukee-M18-Oscillating-Multi-Tool-2626-22-in-Action.jpg